AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

AVID Display

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Berg
AVID Display
on Jun 7, 2017 at 3:10:07 pm

Okay. I'm going to just come out here and say this first. I realize that this is a stupid question, but I'm trying to get a better understanding on this topic.

Right now, I'm running Media Composer 8.7.2 on a Mac Pro. I have two 27" Apple Monitors as well as the Panasonic BT-LH1850 to display my image. I'm utilizing the AJA T-Tap going from Thunderbolt to SDI to my monitor. My question is, do I really need this T-Tap device to display my image. Why can't I just go from HDMI on my Mac to HDMI on my monitor? Is there a quality difference?

Thanks! If this is in the wrong thread, I apologize.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVID Display
on Jun 7, 2017 at 5:56:08 pm

First off, the graphics card, while it might have multiple ports, say 3+...only TWO of them work at a time. They come with options, but graphics cards can only work on two monitors at the same time. SO if you did opt to do that, you'd lose a work monitor.

And yes, the quality is different. It's a COMPUTER DISPLAY signal vs VIDEO signal. Computer Display won't have the ability to show interlacing, for one. So 1080i59.94 won't display properly. Computer Display vs video has a different color space, you can't really do Rec709 on a computer display connection. If this is only to see what you are doing, and for a client to look at the cut for story, this is fine. But for critical viewing of quality and color, an IO like AJA and broadcast monitor or TV are recommended.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Martin Fox
Re: AVID Display
on Jun 14, 2017 at 2:29:46 am

I'm using a Blackmagic mini monitor, to see the correct colour space, and to see the correct frame rate.
When computer monitor draws the frame , it does so in it's own time base which is different to afilm frame time base ( typically computer monitors refresh at about 60 HZ ), consequently you see tearing of any verticals in the image and a kind of juddering on pans, this because the monitor frame draw and the video frame draw are not synced.
When you use an output like your AJA they are synced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]