AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Mixing frame rates and frame sizes in 8.8.3

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Hubbard
Mixing frame rates and frame sizes in 8.8.3
on Jun 4, 2017 at 10:22:15 pm

Hello!

New to the forum and have spent many hours struggling today. I have read similar threads but nothing is quite working for me, hoping for some guidance.

I have a project I will be delivering in 720p 29.97fps. I am running MC 8.8.3 on an iMac with Sierra 10.12.4, 4ghz i7 32GB RAM if you need specs.

The source footage is ALL over the place. Here is a rundown of what I have been given:

4k 23.976
4k 29.97
1440p 23.976
1080p 23.976
1080p 29.97
1080p 59.94
1080p 119.88
720p 239.76

The goal is to be able to play higher frame rates in seamless slow motion and pan & scan larger frame sizes within the 720 timeline. So for my main project, I will start a 720p 29.97 project.

My question is, do I need to match all the frame rates first before I bring the clips into the Avid? It would seem to me that if everything was the same frame rate, it makes this all easier. With that said, if I was going to transcode the 239.76fps footage to 29.97fps, would it automatically be slowed down? And finally, what kind of program do I need to transcode all of this?

I could be way off with my thinking, but I have done many tests and nothing is sticking. Any help is truly appreciated! Thanks!

Joe

Return to posts index

Martin Fox
Re: Mixing frame rates and frame sizes in 8.8.3
on Jun 14, 2017 at 5:15:30 am

My practice is to use the dnxhr codec which doesn't conform the frame rate to the project frame rate;
Make a project at the size and frame rate you wish to deliver,
Ama link to the footage transcode to dnxhr, edit into the timeline, avid will automatically conform your footage to the timeline frame rate , (you will see a little icon on the clips to indicate a speed change).
if you want to manipulate frame rates, use the motion fx editor to changet the frame rate of your clip in the timeline.
The problem with this workflow, is that dnxhr only supports frame rates up to 50 or 60 fps!
So for clips of higher frame rates , I slow them down to 50 or 60 fps in a program editready (mac, but I'm sure there would be a pc equivalent). Then Ama link them and transcode as before.
Martin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]