AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

How to import ALE without Avid Log Exchange

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Orion McCaw
How to import ALE without Avid Log Exchange
on May 17, 2017 at 7:25:09 pm

Hey, I'm trying to batch rename a bunch of clips in a bin by exporting the ALE and changing all the names in Excel then going back into avid and importing the new ALE. I used to do this on Avid 7 when the Avid Log Exchange software still existed. I would do all my changes in Excel, open the Tab file in Log Exchange, paste the original header data, export it as an ALE, open Avid, and import the new ALE. It would work like a charm. But since Avid 8 EOL'ed Log Exchange I'm not sure how to get a changed ALE that Avid will accept.

I'm just wondering if there is another way to batch rename that I'm unfamiliar with or if there is another way to save an ALE that Avid will accept. Is my only option to try to find an install of Avid Log Exchange?

Thanks,
Orion

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: How to import ALE without Avid Log Exchange
on May 17, 2017 at 11:14:20 pm

There is a way to create a self contained version of Avid Log Exchange. I've done this because I use it all the time. In order to do this, you'll need Avid 7 installed on a system.

After MCv7 and Filmscribe (or Avid Log Exchange) are installed copy the Avid Filmscribe (or Avid Log Exchange) folder to a flash drive.
Within this copied folder, right click on FilmScribe, show package contents, go to Contents/Frameworks. From the computer Copy the following directories from /Library/Frameworks (copy them- don't move them..) to this directory:
QtCore.framework
QtDesigner.framework
QtDesignerComponents.framework
QtGui.framework
QtHelp.framework
QtMultimedia.framework
QtNetwork.framework
QtOpenGL.framework
QtScript.framework
QtScriptTools.framework
QtSql.framework
QtSvg.framework
QtTest.framework
QtWebKit.framework
QtXml.framework
QtXmlPatterns.framework
phonon.framework

This gives you a standalone copy of Filmscribe (or Avid Log Exchange), which even works installed from a USB key.... and will not interfere with an existing MC install

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 18, 2017 at 12:48:43 pm

Yes, it's a shame that they removed Avid Log Exchange without replacing all its functionality. Something I've blogged about in the past.

When checking ALE's, I use Textwrangler (or similar functionality) that allows me to see invisible characters in the file. The biggest problem when coming from Excel is additional TABs when there should only be one, and no carriage return after the last event. If you open an ALE you just exported for reference you can quickly see the differences.

Michael

Return to posts index

Orion McCaw
on May 18, 2017 at 4:19:24 pm

Hey guys, Thanks for the tips. I should mention that at the studio we're running the Avid on a PC.

@Richard: Do you know if there is a process for doing the same thing on a PC?

@Michael: I think I read your post about this when I was looking into this issue. Definitely annoying that they haven't replaced the functionality. Textwrangler appears to be Mac software, would Notepad++ work the same way? Also when you say 'checking' ALEs do you mean that you would go into Excel and make your changes, then bring it into Textwrangler and remove the extra formatting that excel adds? Or, do you do all your changes in Textwrangler?

Thanks a bunch!
-Orion

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 18, 2017 at 5:05:29 pm

Any text editing application that shows invisible characters to ensure proper tab, space, return. So there are most likely the same tools on a PC. As far as Avid Log Exchange, you should be able to download an earlier version of the installer from Avid and install ALE only.

Michael

Return to posts index

Orion McCaw
on May 18, 2017 at 5:28:01 pm

alright, thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]