AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid MC network workstation

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Bonomelli
Avid MC network workstation
on May 17, 2017 at 4:49:29 pm

Hello

I have an avid media composer workstation (on windows) that will need assistant workstation to work with (Overlords requirements)
Can I simply network two machines together with ethernet (1ge or 10ge) and add a share drive that both can access?

I read Avid requires ISIS or Unity for how it writes the data but I heard of workarounds with bins.

Not sure how to proceed
Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid MC network workstation
on May 17, 2017 at 5:31:43 pm

[Andrea Bonomelli] "Can I simply network two machines together with ethernet (1ge or 10ge) and add a share drive that both can access?"

Nope, sorry. You need a server connected to storage to do this. And if you want to share project, then you need to look at options like ISIS, NEXUS, Facilis...others.

[Andrea Bonomelli] "I read Avid requires ISIS or Unity for how it writes the data but I heard of workarounds with bins."

If you want to share project, you need hardware that works with Avid in a shared project capacity. Not all servers and drives do this. I have seen people post highly technical workarounds, and I've tried a couple, but they weren't worth the headache. You'll need a SUPER geeky IT person to do this and maintain it...and they need intimate knowledge of how Avid works as well.

Shared storage via a server is easy...and if you want, you all can send each other bins of changes. But if you want shared projects, you need specific hardware.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrea Bonomelli
on May 17, 2017 at 6:14:11 pm

Hi Shane

So if I have a 12TB raid connected to PC1 and doing a workgroup with PC2 the shared drive won't be seen by both computers?
I mean that's simply file sharing let me reformulate: would Avid prevent or overwrite files if both workstation will access it?

What are bin of changes?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 19, 2017 at 2:25:55 pm

take a look at indiestor out of the UK. Very reasonably priced alternative to an ISIS or Unity project sharing system.

Haven't tried it, but i've heard good things. I think Bob Zelin's latest NAB 2017 review mentions it.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 19, 2017 at 5:23:21 pm

If you are really, really careful, you can handle things manually. But sh*t is bound to occur. Much safer to clone/sync mediafiles folders between systems (but requires well-organized manual updating).

If you need shared storage, you need shared storage. It's not as simple as you would hope.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]