AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Can you create a log exchange file for the entire timeline?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Inbar Marmelshtein
Can you create a log exchange file for the entire timeline?
on May 16, 2017 at 10:32:59 pm

Hey guys,

I'm working with 4k video for the first time and I think I kinda messed up. I converted all the files to mp4 files and imported them and finished editing. All the files are named "(original file name)+placement in folderx3". Is there any quick way to link and replace the files to their original 4k file? Or do you have any tips on how I should proceed from here?

(If you're wondering, my university only have one computer you can edit 4k on, hence the conversion...)

Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Can you create a log exchange file for the entire timeline?
on May 17, 2017 at 12:40:28 am

Whatever column as the source file name you describe (Source File?), highlight and duplicate it to the Lab roll column. Edit out the extra stuff from the names. If there are a lot of clips you can batch process in a text editor:
Exports master clips as an ALE file with Start, End, (Tape or Source File) and Lab Roll.
In a Text editor, edit out the extra stuff at the end of the name in the Lab Roll column.
Merge ALE back in.

Link to original camera files and highlight them
Highlight sequence
Right Click sequence and select "Relink"
Use relink to selected
Set up to have Lab Roll on source clips and "Tape/Source File" on sequence
Click OK

Michael

Return to posts index

Inbar Marmelshtein
on May 17, 2017 at 5:47:14 am

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "lab roll column" (English is not the native language where I live). Do I need to manually insert in point and out point for all the files I want to import? What to do when certain files are used in different places in the time line? (a lot of the film is a shot reverse shot so obliviously when used the same clip in different places)

Sorry for being difficult, this is all new territory for me.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 17, 2017 at 12:39:48 pm

There's a column you can add to the bin called Lab roll. It can be used to relink sources and identfy sources in an EDL. Depending on version of Media Composer, right click on column headings in bin and choose "choose column".

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]