AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid Media Composer / Red Audio Tracks

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geigler Cleimens
Avid Media Composer / Red Audio Tracks
on May 14, 2017 at 1:31:25 am

Hi community,

I am working on Avid Media Composer and got into the following problem. All my audio files are red and don't playback audio.

I have exported my Media Composer Project as an aaf to work on it in Pro tools. Then exported it to aaf and reimported it into Avid media composer. I used mfx files. Now all my audio files are red and don't play back.

Thank you for helping me.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Media Composer / Red Audio Tracks
on May 14, 2017 at 10:15:21 am

Red means that the audio files are offline...missing. Are the NEW ones Red, or the old ones? Typically from ProTools one exports audio stems to bring into Avid...not AAF round trip

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 14, 2017 at 3:02:59 pm

I'm with Shane, but couldn't say for sure that Protools can't do it.
So, just in case ...

How big is the aaf you received from Protools, vs the one you sent? (if its tiny, then there is no media embedded in it)

Are you able to embed the audio in protools aaf the same way you did in the Avid output?

Check you Avid MediaFiles/mxf/1 folder. Do you see any files that were created when you brought in the aaf from Protools?

I, like Shane, usually just recieve a mix wave from the audio house out of Protools.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Geigler Cleimens
on May 14, 2017 at 4:56:19 pm

Hi Shane,

When I brought aaf files form protools i told it to create mfx files in a separate folder. When I import the aaf file in avid, it imports all mfx files into my sequence bin. Is there a way for me to align all my files into a timeline? The reason why we wanted to do a aaf roundtrip was because we wanted to change something in the edit, after I already worked on the audio.
One of my teachers was able to reimport and align the files in into a sequence, but when I tried to open the sequence today, all my audio files where offline.

Thank you for helping me

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 14, 2017 at 5:33:20 pm

You have to put those new mxf files "online" ... into the mxf/ folder structure.

Make a new folder called 2 in your Avid MediaFiles/mxf/ area. See if Avid can then create a database for that media.
If it does, your audio should be online.

You can then rename that "2" folder "ProjectName audio from Protools", or leave it as 2, or move it into your 1 folder.
Depends how you organize your media.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Geigler Cleimens
on May 14, 2017 at 5:59:34 pm

Thank you for your help Glen

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 15, 2017 at 11:13:36 pm

Did it work? I"m curious to know what you received back from protools.

Was it 1 big mxf file with the whole mix, or as many mxfs as you originally sent out, except this time they all had a mix attached to their little chunk?

Never done it this way. I would have thought you would get a pop at each edit point doing it this way.

What are you gaining by anything doing it this way?

curious

Glenn

Return to posts index

Geigler Cleimens
on May 16, 2017 at 3:58:54 am

Yes it worked.
When I exported it from protools, I got as many mxfs as I got from exporting it from MediaComposer, plus the mix I did in Protools.
I thought it is easier to go back to MediaComposer and make a few minor adjustments to picture and sound, because I have all the tracks and clips separate in their original tracks.

Clemens

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]