AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Replacing video's audio?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Juig
Replacing video's audio?
on May 12, 2017 at 4:19:41 pm

Hello,

I am in a quite frustrating situation. I have already edited my footage and only now realized that I was supposed to sync my video clips to audio files that are identical in duration but have been technically corrected in another software.

Is there any way to replace master clips' audio so that therefore I don't have to replace everything individually on the timeline with already edited footage?

Return to posts index

Mike Harper
Re: Replacing video's audio?
on May 13, 2017 at 1:05:14 am

Not sure if I follow, Is the audio coming from one separate audio clip? Or was it linked to video when you imported?

Mike Harper
http://www.editscore.com/
http://editscore.sourceaudio.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 14, 2017 at 3:07:58 pm

Sounds like he received separate audio, but didn't sync it up to video before editing.

I'm not sure you can do this easily.

If the audio timecode matches the video, you could try adding a custom column to the audio files, that matches the name of the video it corresponds to. You could then try to relink, audio only, a copy of your sequence, using the "all selected clips in open bins" method, pointing avid to use timecode and custom column as its reference .

I would try 1 clip and see if it works, before adding the data to all the audio.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Juan Juig
on May 15, 2017 at 7:52:06 pm

Thank you for your replies. Yes I did recieve seperate audio and didn't synch it before editing.

Audio timecode does match video's timecode. Could you please explain how to add "custom column" to the audio files? Do I do that even before the file is imported or in Avid? And how do I create it in the first place?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 15, 2017 at 11:07:18 pm

I just tried it, and couldn't get it to work, but i did manage to link the video in a sequence to a selected auto synced clip in a bin. (it linked the video, but not the audio...audio stayed with the original audio), but this would allow you to autosync your clips, creating a new submaster with synced audio from the recorder.

Link your sequence to these clips based on name and timecode, all selected clips in open bins...(make sure all your new sync clips are selected.

Then, you have a sequence where the video comes from 1 source, and the audio from another source.
(video from the newly synced clips, audio from the original quicktime source)

Match frame each video shot in the timeline, patch the audio in, and replace edit. (If you had the proper equipment, you could even build a macro to do the entire timeline with the push of 1 button) In your case, learing some shortcut keys could probably get you through a moderate sized timeline without too much stress.

As for future custom columns, you would go to list view in your bin, right click in one of the column names and select custom column. You can then make a column named anything you like. Save that view setting, and open it up in the bin that contains your sequence. Now when doing a relink, you can select that custom column name as a source to relink via.

good luck.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Juan Juig
on May 31, 2017 at 3:50:39 pm

Dear mr. Glenn,

Thanks a lot!

Your method worked indeed and fortunately I had the knowledge of writing a macro script, so I didn't have to do everything manually.

Cheers

Juan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]