AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Premier CC to Avid works - almost!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rickard S. Söderström
Premier CC to Avid works - almost!
on Apr 19, 2017 at 8:17:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been working for a month off and on to get the workflow for a roundtrip from premier to avid and back, and it almost works - except one thing that some clever person maybe have an answer for and hopefully a solution too.

It kinda goes like this:
1. My footage is 4k mp4 original and I have separate tracks for audio. First thing is to convert it with Resolve to MXF Atom files. I use the coded called MXF OP-ATOM, DNxHD 1080P 36 8 bit (it takes up less space and I am sending the project to an editor for offline editing, so no need to get it bigger and better then that). The nice thing with Resolve is that you can import your files to the timeline and export them as "individual clips". I save the clips in the same folder as my orginals.

2. Start in Premier. I sync up my footage with Pluraleyes on a scene to scene bases. For example. In premier I have sc1_seq, sc2_seq etc. When I am done. I save out one Seq at the time as .AAF (no options used for mono tracks etc)

3. BEFORE i import the .AFF to MC. I make sure to move or copy my MXF files to Avid Media folder in the MXF folder under a folder i create called 100, for example. When you start MC you can then use the Media Tool to drag in your footage in to a bin of your choosing. Then I import the AAF by dragging it in to a Bin with the scene name "Sc1" etc.

4. The video files should sync up right away and the external audio is offline. If not use step five also on the video,

5. Relinking the audio is a bit tricky. But you can also use Batch Import if you would like that. Just click on the audiofiles and batchimport them. If you would like to relink the audio. It is possible to move in your audio in to the OMF. I used Wav files, so in order to make it work I had to go in to preferences and change "audio format" from MXF to wave files. You can also just drag in your audiofiles in to the bin and MC will transcode them and put them in the Avid Omffiles on the root (works like the Avid Media files but for sounds).

The important point here is that you have to have an audiofile inside mc to relink it. Then to relink it, I go in to "Modify Clip" on the imported audio first and then on the offline audio clip that came in with .AAF. I go to "set source" and make something called something "Tag1" for instance and set that as the "Tape Source" for both clips. Then click on the offline sound clip and relink. Change the option to "any media". And it should relink the audio.

Phuu.. I hope you guys follow me and it helps out a bit. But finally my problem is this:

The audiofiles I have are 3 channel Wave files. First channel is Boom, Second Microport 1, Third Microport 2. When the audio comes in to MC it only uses First Channel. So all my 3 channels are identical with only the 1 channel on all 3 channels. I have tried Batchimport and Relink but the result is the same. The funny thing is that if i drag in the same audio clip from the bin in to the timeline. Boom - audio is there in 3 channels>boom, mic1, mic2. So basically I could manually change the sound clip by cutting it.

But I would LOVE to find a solution to this that works, so later on I can import it back to premier without problems and also give and .aaf to the sound designer.

If someone can help me with this I'll write an even longer describtion how to get the footage back to Premier again LOL. No sorry - back to Premier I just saved an .AAF in MC and loaded it in my project and it was fine. And to online it I replaced my MXF with my orginals with "Replace Clip" (wish it was an automatic way to do it on all clips)

I sure hope someone smart MC dude out there can help me out.

Cheers
Rickard

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Premier CC to Avid works - almost!
on Apr 20, 2017 at 7:02:12 am

Why do this? Why not stick to one NLE?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rickard S. Söderström
on Apr 20, 2017 at 10:29:56 am

Hi Shane,

I'm not sure I understand your question. I dont know what a NLE is?

The resone is That i use Premier but My Editor uses MC. I need to sync Audio to video and i dont have resources to pay someone to sync it manually.

R

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 20, 2017 at 11:50:24 am

Sounds like you're just making dailies using Premiere to prep and sync. If it's for that purpose only, I would suggest using Resolve which has a similar waveform sync in it, but it better suited for a dailies workflow.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rickard S. Söderström
on Apr 20, 2017 at 1:01:31 pm

Thank you, but it is already synced in Premier now, and I have choosen premier as my main online for personal resons. Do you have any experience in with sound imports with AAFs in avid?

Cheers
Rickard

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 20, 2017 at 7:13:50 pm

The issue I have with syncing in other applications, and Resolve handles just a wee bit better than PPro, but still not great, is the fact that once synced, there is no source reference to audio for a downstream conform should you ever need to go back. It sees everything as the same source as the video.

Because of this, it make the audio relink process difficult at best.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rickard S. Söderström
on Apr 21, 2017 at 4:53:56 am

Hi,

The pipeline in PP described is linked to the orginalmaterial, so when you export an AAF from avid you can lood it up in PP or Resolve. My problem is that the audio track is somehow MAGICALY only using the first Channel (3 Channel Wav file, with BOOM, MIC1, MIC2). So my top audiotracks are only with boom.

One solution is to just cut it with the boom track and when another track is needed the editor and get the wave file from the Bin in MC and match it to the Boom.

But I would like to understand why MC can't play the tracks right way from the wave file like it should. With Channel 1 as Boom, Channel 2 as Mic1 and Channel 3 as Mic2.

Cheers
RIckard

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 21, 2017 at 4:02:01 am

Sorry...NLE is NON-LINEAR EDITOR. Editing application, basically.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rickard S. Söderström
on Apr 21, 2017 at 5:03:13 am

O NLE... I see :0)

Do you have any experience with importing .AAF with sound files in MC? For some resone, the soundfile from Premier to Avid is only playing the first Channel on all 3 channels in the wave file. But when I drag in the wave file from the Bin is plays it perfect?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 21, 2017 at 11:56:26 am

It may be that the AAF export from Premiere is mixing down or channels are not selected when exporting? I would look to the Premiere export settings first to make sure those are correct.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]