AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Long wait time when toggling from other software to MC 8.3

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McMullin
Long wait time when toggling from other software to MC 8.3
on Apr 29, 2015 at 9:07:59 am

I'm using MC8.3 on a highly spec'd Z820 with a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card, Desktop Video Utility 10.4, NVideo Driver 340.84.

When I'm staying in the Avid, it works OK. My big problem is that my job involves toggling a lot between Avid and Photoshop, After Effects and my Internet Browser. Whenever I toggle back to Avid I often have to wait for as much as 30 seconds before the system stops hour-glassing and I can start work again.

It's really impacting my productivity. I've noticed similar problems on other Avids as well and seems to be a feature that's come in since Media Composer started working with non-Avid video cards.

Any ideas, settings, work-arounds that anyone knows about?

Many thanks,

John McMullin

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Long wait time when toggling from other software to MC 8.3
on Apr 29, 2015 at 10:09:36 am

We have 6 systems on Win 7 - they are identical as far as I can determine but we have one system doing exactly the same thing. We are on MC version 8.2 We have searched for answers to no avail. We regularly run CCleaner and Malwarebytes and when doing any updates we do it to all. We have checked BIOS versions and settings, we have tried indexing on/off for local SSD and have tried same MC user settings used in other working rooms. Nothing we do changes this situation.

We are also in need of any possible solutions.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 29, 2015 at 4:18:58 pm

There have been lots of issues with the BM drivers and toggling in and out of Avid.
It's like Avid has to claw back focus from the driver.

Be interesting to see if toggling to software mode (gear icons on timeline) first and then leave Avid and come back and see if that helps. If so it's the 3rd party I?O and or driver.
Also in the BM driver control panel try changing the option for what it does when it leaves an application (I think it's a black frame or hold last frame choice)

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

John McMullin
on Apr 30, 2015 at 9:15:23 am

Hi Pat,

Thanks. Unfortunately that didn't seem to help.

The strange thing is that the behaviour is inconsistent. For example, this morning, having left the computer on overnight, without shutting down, the problem isn't occurring yet. But from experience I know that it'll come back and I won't be able to do anything about it when it does. Restarting the machine does not help.

It makes me wonder if it's something to do with background processes, but I've no idea which ones they might be. We do have Norton on this machine.

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 30, 2015 at 12:34:34 pm

We found the move to NC V8.3.1 was a big help. Breaks AS-11 export but performance improved.

Pat Horridge
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:42:43 pm

I had a similar issue in MC 7.0.4 w/ NITRIS DX. Since our AVID version and system setup is very different, it is very possible my solution does not apply, so take it with a grain of salt:

I worked with AVID tech support directly on this one: First step is to look in your console window to see what kind of error message you are getting. Every time I would switch between AVID and the desktop, or any other program, I would get "MSMRescan() took: 30s" errors, where the rescan time was anywhere between 30-60 seconds.

The solution was to throw away the AMA management database:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\AMA Management

Once I deleted the contents of this folder, the rescan errors went away. According to AVID tech support, the program will rebuild these databases as needed. So far, I have seen no negative effects from throwing away these files.

HTH,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:53:27 pm

It could be AMA database scanning and it's possible that was one of the improvements in V8.3.1

On standalone systems (non shared storage) the AMA management doesn't bring anything at all and in fact causes issues for some users.
There is a console command to disable it (but I don't think it's persistent)so the best option is to manually delete the AMA databases
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\AMA Management

And do that periodically.

It's not that Avid will rebuild them as needed. They are created every time you AMA link. They are not recreated unless you ama link something again.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

John McMullin
on May 15, 2015 at 4:27:51 pm

Thanks for your help Pat.

I finally got 8.3.1 installed and it has definitely helped a lot. Occasionally the Avid still goes in to a spin but it's now far far better. I noticed that it still comes up with some errors in console but now it seems to quit out of whatever loop it was in earlier.

Best wishes,

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]