AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Logging documentary workflow.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Keating
Logging documentary workflow.
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:25:22 pm

I'm currently logging a documentary with 16tb of footage. I am looking for a reference on how to log footage efficiently. Anyone have a system they would recommend?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Logging documentary workflow.
on Apr 24, 2015 at 2:08:53 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but here's a blog post I wrote few years ago that may be applicable.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/one-bite-at-a-time/

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Jul 21, 2017 at 12:15:06 am

Oliver, your blog post was helpful to me today. Thank you =)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 21, 2017 at 1:03:44 am

Glad it was helpful. Good luck.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Cherniak
on Jul 26, 2017 at 5:56:02 pm

Hi John,

First off, if you are editing proxy files and wish to relink to online media later in the editing process (before going to online), make sure you have a solid and tested workflow to ensure easy relinking down the online.

As for logging with AVID media encoder, I like to first use the "Color" column directly in the bin and then colored markers on sequences.

**Step one : color code clips in bin.

For the "Color" column, I use this coding scheme :

Green : verbal content valuable or pertinent
Blue : verbal content somewhat off subject
no color : inserts or b-roll

**Step two : create SELECTION sequences and log with markers

Then I create what I call SELECTION sequences.
I will start by dropping all the green and blue clips to to a sequence called SELECTION_rough_nameofbin.
Then I will edit the rest of the clips from the bin after the green and blue clips.

I now have a sequence which contain all of the media from my bin.
In the hamburger from the timeline, I click "Clip color" and uncheck everything except "offline" (red) and "source".
My timeline now displays green and blue clips at the beginning of the sequence and b-roll has no color.

Then I listen to content using the IN shortcut at the beginning of an idea or sentence. Once i've listened to the content, i will use GO TO IN and add a colored marker on the clip in the timeline and write a description or a verbatim that gives an idea. Keep it a one-liner

EX : MARIO - explains why he first got into politics.
or MARIO : " I got involved because i want to help the community..."

You can also "add edit" at the end of the valuable spoken content.
Use different colored markers for your needs :

Green - valuable content, on subject.
Magenta - this will most likely make it to the final cute
Blue - not quite on subject but interesting - might be useful
blakc - INSERTS & B-Roll

You can map colored markers to shortcuts for speed and have 4 colors left if you want to refine by topic.

**Step three : refine your SELECTION sequence
Duplicate your SELECTION_rough_nameofbin an rename to
SELECTION_fine_nameofbin_v1

Go through the footage and use the LIFT command to get rid of footage you are sure is useless/off topic.

You now have a rather clean sequence from your material with markers for easy navigation.
Markers will most likely represent IN points.

You can make finer and finer selection by duplicating an versionizing these selection timelines (v1, v2, v3).

You can visualize content from a selection sequence using the Marker tool (Tools menu - Markers) . The comment column will give you clear indication of who is talking and about what.

When you start editing scenes, you can drag your selection sequences directly in the source browser and use the as if they were clips. Should the inteval of you IN and OUT points cover more than one clip in the source sequence, the cuts will still appear in your editing sequence.

Naming the clips in the bin beforehand can also be useful - but I much rather have markers to which I can easily navigate to find content.

If you are looking for content you might have edited out of your SELECTION_fine sequence, yo can always go back to your first SELECTION_rough sequence.

If you are going to have the logging done by an assistant-editor, it is important he or she have a very good understanding of the project.

Hope this helps,

David Cherniak

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]