AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Media Composer 7 is coming soon...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Ray
Media Composer 7 is coming soon...
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:24:46 pm

I see in the Avid store on the Symphony upgrade site it says "Media Composer 7 is coming soon…
Get a complimentary Media Composer 7 upgrade with the Symphony option (once available) when you upgrade or crossgrade to Symphony 6.5 on or after April 7, 2013 and register your purchase.
Please note that Avid Meridien systems are not eligible for upgrades."

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do?product=307958492846816

So, is there any info out there about what we can expect? I did a google search and all I could find is a Hollywood Reporter article from about 14 hours ago that gives me an access denied error when I try to open it, though from the Google page I can see it says something about remote collaboration. I know we'll hear about it at NAB, but find it intriguing enough to see if anyone has more info.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Media Composer 7 is coming soon...
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:41:07 pm

This is intriguing... a Symphony option to a Media Composer... hmmmm. What is everyone's interpretation of that?

Michael

Return to posts index

Joel Ray
on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:01:20 pm

I would assume that symphony will be just another option like Phrasefind or Scriptsync

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:16:07 pm

Certainly less confusing to refer to it that way.

It's the same software with a couple of very nice features turned on.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 7, 2013 at 11:24:11 am

Media Composer and Symphony are basically the same product, save color correction and a couple other features. Many of us have long been pounding the drum that there is no need for 2 separate products, marketing campaigns, etc. While there are not a lot of details to go on (at least for the next 12 hours), this seems like a very positive step in that direction. Of course, pricing will be an issue as Avid has yet to realize that the world has changed so much since the early 2000's in what bang you can get for your buck these days (FCPX being a perfect example at $299), and MC7 will need to bring its Symph CC up to current standards. Should be very interesting. Great time to be in this business!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 7, 2013 at 9:14:17 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Media Composer and Symphony are basically the same product, save color correction and a couple other features"

With the software-only versions, the ONLY difference is the color correction, plus you get Continuum. The standards conversion is a hardware feature, so, yeah, very little difference. Selling advanced color correction as an option makes more sense, I would think.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 7, 2013 at 9:24:34 pm

The tape-based Universal Mastering is the other major difference that is tied to Avid hardware (don't know why though from an I/O perspective). I am writing up a workflow where you can do file-based universal mastering with pitch correction with Media Composer - albeit a few more steps, it is files based which more and more of the deliverables seem to be.

The other difference in the software is advanced color correction comparatively speaking to Media Composer which one can argue should have been part of Media Composer by now - but that is open for debate. Maybe portions of it like secondary as it has more metadata related tricks such as relational color correction and a few more control tabs as well as sequence/source control. It will be interesting to see if there is actually more control available other than existing Symphony color correction as an option to Media Composer - since in the end, that's just a Symphony. Depends on the pricing for option, upgrades, and what happens to existing Symphony owners - what is their path/upgrade? There certainly has been rumblings by owners in the past that they paid more for upgrades when there was nothing new, specific to Symphony to justify the cost difference. So they have been paying for that advanced color correction many times over through the years.

;)

The news will start rolling out in about 3.5 hours. I'll be on a plane making my way to Las Vegas so I'll get to the details after I check in.

Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 7, 2013 at 9:43:49 pm

[Michael Phillips] "The tape-based Universal Mastering is the other major difference that is tied to Avid hardware (don't know why though from an I/O perspective). I am writing up a workflow where you can do file-based universal mastering with pitch correction with Media Composer - albeit a few more steps, it is files based which more and more of the deliverables seem to be. "

Yes, that's what I meant by standards conversion. I suppose Universal Mastering is actually a slightly larger tent, but for me its about standards conversion, so that's how I think about it.

[Michael Phillips] "The other difference in the software is advanced color correction comparatively speaking to Media Composer which one can argue should have been part of Media Composer by now - but that is open for debate. "

I don't know. To be competitive with other programs, it seems to me that there is not any real argument, especially with resolve floating around the way it is.

[Michael Phillips] "It will be interesting to see if there is actually more control available other than existing Symphony color correction as an option to Media Composer - since in the end, that's just a Symphony. Depends on the pricing for option, upgrades, and what happens to existing Symphony owners - what is their path/upgrade?"

Good question. I own a seat of both, so I'm quite curious about that.

[Michael Phillips] "There certainly has been rumblings by owners in the past that they paid more for upgrades when there was nothing new, specific to Symphony to justify the cost difference. So they have been paying for that advanced color correction many times over through the years.
"

The main reason I'm still using 6 as opposed to 6.5.

[Michael Phillips] "The news will start rolling out in about 3.5 hours. I'll be on a plane making my way to Las Vegas so I'll get to the details after I check in.
"

Yup, I'm packing up to drive over right now.

Return to posts index

Paul Forte
on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:34:37 pm

I'm still on 6.0. Is it likely to be a $500 upgrade like 6.5? Or are full upgrades usually more?

Return to posts index

Joel Ray
on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:07:21 pm

I upgraded from 5.5 to 6.5 and it was $599, I would suspect that will be your upgrade price. $499 is for those who have the most recent version prior to the update.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 6, 2013 at 12:26:11 pm

Must have been a slip-up because the link now takes you to a MC 6.5 upgrade offer. Maybe someone jumped the gun. NAB is here, so we will find out soon enough.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 6, 2013 at 1:35:19 pm

Yup - that was quick! I knew I should have taken a screen shot! ;)
Joel copy/pasted the verbiage anyway of what was there in his original post.

Usually Avid does its Press Conference Sunday early evening, so everything should go live then.

Michael

Return to posts index

Joel Ray
on Apr 8, 2013 at 12:10:14 am

Well this is welcome news, upgrades are now $299 and $399. I just bought a MC upgrade for $599 earlier this week. Luckily they have a 30 day return policy.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 8, 2013 at 12:12:41 pm

If you bought it this week MC7 is complimentary,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]