AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid on Laptop

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Wysocka
Avid on Laptop
on Sep 1, 2011 at 11:07:02 pm

I was thinking about getting a Dell Precision M4600 laptop too be more mobile and when at home connect it to docking station with monitors. Before I will spend all savings on new system just wanted to ask about your avid on laptop experiences. Do you use laptop as your primary system or just as a secondary to desktop? Are there any major issues connected to running mc5.5 on laptops that I should be aware?

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
Re: Avid on Laptop
on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:10:34 am

Avid just came and did a presentation for our user group. The entire presentation was done on a 1-2 year old Mac laptop. And it preformed remarkably well. I'm not 100% for sure on the PC laptop, but I'd venture a guess that you'd be fine.

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer
Apple Monitors, Flanders Scientific Broadcast, Panasonic AG-AF100
Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:12:14 am

Does the laptop meet these specifications? And more important is it 'qualified' (PDF of qualified Avid windows systems.)

When you operate outside of Avid's qualified systems, you want to nail the specs, down to the motherboard type, if possible - because you don't want to buy all of it and have it not work.

I know loads of editors who use their laptop as their primary station. If you're choosing this because you will edit remotely, great. If you're choosing this so you have the flexibility to edit at the beach....you'll never edit at the beach. It's better to get a beefy (cheaper) desktop and buy a netbook for portable computing.

You'll always be limited to the stock video card and interfaces; if I were spec'ing out a windows machine, I'd really like USB 3.0 as well as an esata.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Anna Wysocka
on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:08:50 pm

Thank you both for advices. I was also speaking with a friend who works in a laptops repair store and he also recommended me a desktop from similar reasons. Laptops are more expensive, in 2-3 years I might would like to upgrade a video card and laptop is not giving many upgrade paths options. I was also told that Dell recently lowered its laptops built quality and they somehow break just after the warranty period. Ehh desktops - another vast area to explore. Thanks again for making up my mind.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]