AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid Color Correction options

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Kaley
Avid Color Correction options
on Aug 29, 2011 at 7:13:09 pm

I'm adding Media Composer to my edit apps, but am concerned about available color correction options.

I'm comfortable with Apple Color and Colorista II in FCP, but cannot find anything comparable on the Avid end of things. Avid claims Colorista is Avid compatible:
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/media-composer-plugins

But Red Giant software seems to think otherwise:
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/news/featured/coloristaII-faq/

What are your options? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Color Correction options
on Aug 29, 2011 at 8:46:29 pm

Colorista 1...the original...works in Avid MC. Colorista 2 does not.

Avid's built in tools are OK...slightly better than FCPs. But not by much. The Avid Symphony is their online machine with better color tools. And then you have third party options...RESOLVE and SMOKE.

I still use Color. I export a ProRes HQ file from Avid MC...and an EDL. Take that into Color, that imports the EDL and points to the media it refers to...it comes in chopped up. I color...render, output to FCP. Export as self contained. AMA that into Avid...transcode to DNxHD.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:50:28 pm

I have no worries just using Avid's color corrector, a color effect, or sapphire's filmlook.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Aug 30, 2011 at 3:36:45 pm

I haven't work in Media Composer since 1999, but I assume the CC tools haven't changed much. I really like Colorista II's power mask, secondary and master HSL tool. I assume Avid doesn't have these.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 30, 2011 at 4:51:35 pm

[John Kaley] " I really like Colorista II's power mask, secondary and master HSL tool. I assume Avid doesn't have these."

Those are part of Colorista 2...and they don't work on the Avid MC platform. Only Colorista 1 does, and you don't get the HSL tool. Really, you only get the color wheels, but the control you get with them is finer than what you get with Avid's built in ones.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]