AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Video Out

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Brewer
Video Out
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:14:28 am

I'm not sure where to post this so I thought I'd start here. I have been a FCP user and am switching to Avid. Loving it so far. The problem I'm having is that I'm also wanting to go fom Apple Color to Davinci Resolve and am trying to find out what card/device I can use to monitor video out from both of these. So far I'm reading that the AJA IO Express works with Avid but not with Davinci and that none of the BM cards work with Avid. I know that BM are working with Avid but who knows when something will be ready. It will be with version 6 I imagine.
Are there any options now?

Peter Brewer
http://www.indimax.com.au

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Video Out
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:22:09 am

There are no options at this time for both Avid Media Composer AND DaVinci Resolve at this time. Resolve requires the Decklink HD Extreme 3D, and Media Composer doesn't work with that card. So there are no solutions at this time. And only the future will tell what specific cards MC6 will work with.

This is why I am still using COLOR with Avid. Takes a bit to get it there, but I get it there.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Brewer
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:44:34 am

Thanks Shane. How do you get it to color? EDL? XML? I assume that the timeline needs to be 'prepared' as it did in FCP.

Peter Brewer

Return to posts index

Eduardo Serrano
on Aug 9, 2011 at 1:19:41 am

This is a very good workflow for working with red footage from avid to color but one could adapt it:
http://avidscreencast.com/2010/02/15-red-workflow-iv-conform-from-avid-to-a...

I hope it helps. There's also a QuickTime plugin that you can use to see avid's mxf.

Cheers,

E.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2011 at 2:21:49 am

The only issue with your MXF QT plugin Eduardo, is that Color doesn't work with Avid codecs. Only ProRes, HDV and DVCPRO HD quicktime codecs...mainly from FCP.

If I could take in a DNxHD Qt file into Color....that would be dreamy. BUT, it is EOL, so no further development

Shane

Return to posts index

Peter Brewer
on Aug 9, 2011 at 2:27:56 am

There is this that helps with Davinci.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749952-REG/Blackmagic_Design_DV_RESOO...
But it doesn't help my original issue with monitoring out from both AMC and Davinci.

Peter Brewer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2011 at 1:22:50 am

Prepare the sequence...put everything onto V1. Export a QT Ref file...convert that to ProRes. There is a gamma shift when I do that. Export an EDL from Avid...CMX3600. Import that EDL to Color, it asks for a media file...I choose the converted one, then the file comes in chopped up. I correct for that gamma shift in Color...make that correction universal to all the clips. Then start my color correction.

Render out everything, export to FCP. Do blurring where needed...render out a self contained PRORES file, AMA that back to Avid, Transcode to DNxHD (zero gamma change when I go that way).

This does go through a couple transcodes, but not unlike outputting from Avid to tape, color correct tape to tape, then recapture the tape to do titles. DNxHD to ProREs, then ProRes (HQ) to ProRes (HQ), then back to DNxHD.

Shane

Return to posts index

Peter Brewer
on Aug 9, 2011 at 1:35:59 am

Thanks Eduardo. I'll check it out. Shane, thats a fair bit of messing around! Hopefully when they release AMC6 with BM cards that work, they're will be an easier workflow. Thanks for the info though. I'll have to make it work in the meantime :)

Peter Brewer

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Aug 9, 2011 at 7:49:30 am

Peter, I run an Avid DX system with a DaVinci Resolve hooked up via a Cubix expander.

If you would like to send the job to me let me know. I'd just need an AAF from you. I'm in Sydney. Understand if not possible due to busget etc. You can contact me at musikwerks (at) mac (dot) com if you like.

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:02:24 pm

I've used the same method Shane has and it works well. Been a while, but I thought that just exporting ProRes straight out of Avid removed the gamma shift for me and made things a little easier to handle. Can't remember the exact workflow I ended up with now.

Andy

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2011 at 9:46:56 pm

Ooooo...exporting to ProRes DOES get rid of the gamma issue. Nice. Now this is a pretty slick workflow.

Shane

Return to posts index

Peter Brewer
on Aug 10, 2011 at 11:17:26 pm

Hi Kris, thanks for the reply. I don't have a project that is in need of work now. I am just slowly transitioning to Avid and am sorting out the workflow. With FCS, everything worked together. Now Using different companies software, I'm finding that there are lots of compatibility issues. We'll get there :)

Peter Brewer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Loftus-Hills
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:30:57 pm

Hey Shane, how do you convert QT ref to pro res, in AMC or what?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:45:23 pm

Compressor. But I might have to try the Export to ProRes right from Avid option...see if I can bypass this gamma thing.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Loftus-Hills
on Aug 9, 2011 at 11:35:46 pm

ThanksShane. I'm nearly there except I can't get Color to see the converted (to pro res) clips. Is it enough to just tell it where the output from Compressor is, or does it need to know here the clips themselves are?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2011 at 11:40:37 pm

After you convert the footage to ProRes, you need to open the EDL manager in Avid, and export an EDL of just the video layer...CMX3600. Then open Color...import the EDL, and it will ask for the accompanying media file. Point to the file then.

Are you saying you imported but it doesn't see it? Red X over the footage?

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Loftus-Hills
on Aug 9, 2011 at 11:44:19 pm

That's right. Red X on what would otherwise be a clip.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2011 at 11:49:20 pm

Make sure it is ProRes, and proper dimensions and frame rate. Not some non-broadcast format. Open the file in QT, or even FCP and look at it.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Loftus-Hills
on Aug 10, 2011 at 12:16:24 am

YES!!! The pro res conversion checked out OK, but what I had overlooked was an EDL import radio button in Color - 'Import as cut list'. I checked that and then all clips came into Color just perfect. Do you know what the gamma shift is? I found setting master Gamma somewhere between 0.7 and 0.8 set it back where it was. Maybe Compressor can be set so no shift occurs? Thanks Shane that's a few steps too many but under the circumstances keeps a great correction program alive and well for a us as we make the change to Avid.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 10, 2011 at 12:25:17 am

[Jeremy Loftus-Hills] "Do you know what the gamma shift is? I found setting master Gamma somewhere between 0.7 and 0.8 set it back where it was"

I don't...I guess I should. I found that Master gamma too, and set it back as well. That's how I corrected the gamma shift in Color, and dragged that to all the clips, used it as the base.

[Jeremy Loftus-Hills] "that's a few steps too many but under the circumstances keeps a great correction program alive and well for a us as we make the change to Avid."

Hey, save a step and export ProRes out of Avid MC. Saves a layer of compression, and the file is ready for Color then. So Avid directly to Color, render, go to FCP just to get it out of Color, export as a self contained file in FCP, use AMA to get that back into Avid MC...transcode..., add titles and graphics...done. Similar to what you'd have to do in Resolve, or if you output to tape.

So glad that I can still use Color...

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Loftus-Hills
on Aug 10, 2011 at 12:41:49 am

OK but how do I export with Pro Res Codec. No such option available on export drop down list. Ref file is exporting with original codec which in this case is XDCAM EX. Is there a setting somehwere deep inside AVID where I can customise the export parameters?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 10, 2011 at 12:46:48 am

If you have Final Cut Pro on the same system, it should be there. Near the Avid DNxHD codecs.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Loftus-Hills
on Aug 10, 2011 at 2:21:21 am

Gotcha. That's 'Send to QT', not 'QT Reference' from the options drop down. Anyway the workflow works on a short test project, now fo rhte big one! Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Terence Curren
on Aug 10, 2011 at 4:43:13 pm

The good news is that Avid has promoted that they are going to open up to third party hardware and Blackmagic was one of the companies mentioned.

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Return to posts index

Jeremy Loftus-Hills
on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:53:54 pm

Supposing AVID introduces BM compatibility in MC 6.0, what's the gos on the MC color correction system?I've played around with it for an hour or so and it seems easy enough to learn, but I'm only able to see the changes on my computer monitor. What sort of results/productivity does it offer in the real world of color correction?

Return to posts index

Terence Curren
on Aug 10, 2011 at 11:40:18 pm

If you plan to do a lot of color correction in Avid, then you want the Symphony. But the original post was about using daVinci with Avid and once the same cards are supported by both Avid and daVinci that should make a one workstation universe available.

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Return to posts index

Yves De Muyter
on Aug 12, 2011 at 1:56:08 pm

Would it hurt if we put also a Decklink in our pcs/macs and use Resolve on that ?

-Yves

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]