AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Ready to Throw my AVID out the window.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
Ready to Throw my AVID out the window.
on Aug 6, 2011 at 11:43:00 pm

Why is it so difficult to do a simple FADE OUT for music track, I shouldn't have to go though a 8 step process to do this. Help anyone?

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Ready to Throw my AVID out the window.
on Aug 6, 2011 at 11:44:56 pm

Activate the audio tracks you want to fade out - use the Quick Transition window ( on your keyboard) and add a dissolve. Fade out complete.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Aug 6, 2011 at 11:53:48 pm

Ya Im trying that It does nothing..just beeps

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Aug 7, 2011 at 12:06:23 am

Then something is wrong. You can add a dissolve to any audio or video track. Do you have the audio tracks activated in your track panel? The shortcut key is the Backslash on your keyboard. It's directly above your Return key. It should open up the Quick Transition window - you can choose Dissolve, set the duration, and where it starts and ends on your piece of media (you probably want it to end on cut).

If it's beeping, them you may not have any tracks selected. Make sure those are turned on in your patch panel.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Aug 7, 2011 at 12:21:47 am

Got it. I had to drag A dissolve over first then Go into the QUick Key. Thanks. Sorry for the RAGE, Ive been trying to under this program for the past week, And its very very difficult.

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Aug 7, 2011 at 1:13:03 am

Here's the facts, Avid is a program with lots and lots of features. A simple thing like fading out audio has worked in Avid for years. When I see people bitching that something like that is "difficult to do in Avid," perhaps it's time for the person bitching to step back and find some training. I had been editing for 30 years including 20 years of flying million dollar linear edit rooms (CMX) prior to learning Avid, already had a few years with another non-linear program (Lightworks) before finally getting behind an Avid keyboard. Two co-workers and myself were given three days of training, and since then, 15 years ago, I've continued to learn new things every day. Avid works, yest it has issues, but so does every technology. If you can't make it work, then get some real training at least to help you learn the concepts and the basic terminology that the program uses. It will do you wonders and save you lots and lots of rage.

Respectfully hoping you work things out.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 7, 2011 at 2:02:20 am

Greg,

You've been in a rage in multiple forums since the day FCPX came out.

Those of us who have been at this for awhile have had to make many transitions and learn new things...even entirely new ways of working. If you don't have the stomach for it, its time for a new career. I started with tape based linear editing. Then the VideoCube, StrataSphere, Avid, M100, and Final Cut Pro. Guess what...they are all different. I had to put real time into learning each of them. You'll find people are more enthusiastic about helping you if you don't phrase your questions in terms of slamming the software for not working like Final Cut Pro. Avid didn't become the gold standard in broadcast editing by being poorly written software...so if there is a drop dead simple task that you are finding completely cumbersome to do, chances are you aren't doing it correctly...its not Media Composer.

Avid isn't Final Cut Pro. Adobe Premiere isn't Final Cut Pro. Today, even Final Cut Pro isn't Final Cut Pro anymore (well, FCPX, anyway). You'll have to learn new things and pick your new weapon. If you can learn more than one of these tools, even better. Flexibility is good. Throwing an online tantrum in an Avid professional forum because you can't do something simple....not so good.

There are plenty of good Avid tutorials on the web. They are not hard to find. If they don't answer your questions, or you need a faster answer, just ask here. If you want to make irrational rants, go back to the FCPX forum. You'll have plenty of company.

Sorry for the mini lecture. I don't make a habit of it.

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:30:11 am

With respect... adding an audio or video dissolve/fade is about as easy as it gets on Avid. Stop thinking of it like FCP. If you get stuck, go to the manual and look it up. I could care less if you like Avid or not. I'm just saying... it's pretty easy if you approach it rationally and logically, and NOT as though it's FCP.

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:59:29 am

use the help guide (hit F1 key) Avid is pretty simple, Just different than FCP (I use them both, prefer avid though)

You don't need training and all that crap, just when you get stuck on something look it up, 9 out of 10 times the help file will give you step by step direction on how to do it.

Avid helps those who help themselves.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Aug 7, 2011 at 1:27:45 pm

Scott Cumbo,

I respectfully disagree with you regarding training. I'm certainly not implying that Mr. Burke or any other FCP editor needs days of edit training, but if they are having the kind of trouble as Mr. Burke appears to be having, than an orientation to Avid may be helpful.

I'm very much a big fan of help files, I often access them myself and encourage others to do so when some new process comes along. But to call training "crap" is wrong, Training is a very viable process that can give someone that boost of confidence, and that orientation to the terminology that can make the difference between failure and success when beginning to use a new piece of hardware or software.

Help files can help you when you have one specific question you want answered, but training opens up the whole ball of wax. The fact is, you often don't know what you don't know, and training opens your eyes to what you don't know that you don't know, while help files usually only answers those things you know that you don't know.

One other thought, My guess is that Mr. Burke works as a one man band with no one sitting in an edit bay right next door to bounce questions, tips and techniques off of. Knowing what I know of Broadway Video, you have several editors within earshot most of the time. I'm sure you interact with each other on a constant basis. Training gives someone that human interaction that helps far more than a help file can ever hope to.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Aug 8, 2011 at 1:31:07 am

Mr Cole,
We disagree, such is life.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Aug 7, 2011 at 5:50:59 am

You don't have to drag a dissolve onto it. Just hit the Quick Dissolve button. Presto.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Aug 7, 2011 at 1:25:36 pm

and the easiest way... use the head / tail fade transitions

1. enable track (eg A1)
2. park timeline at point you want fade to start (or end in the case of a head fade)
3. press tail (or head) fade shortcut.

excellent tool

(yes I too have done the cmx/paltex/sony/editbox/fcp/whatever route - you have to learn this stuff

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:45:02 pm

As far as training, I would suggest this starting point, posted below:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/881065

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brian Vedholm
Re: ady to Throw my AVID out the window.
on Aug 7, 2011 at 8:31:10 pm

Audio dissolves should be just as easy to do in Avid or even easier compared to Fcp7. In general however I think Avid is not at all as intuitive as FCP7. So for FCP editors who never tried Avid it can be frustrating. But hang in, don't throw it out the window :-). It can be learned. Everything is just a little more complicated. I myself am struggling with Avid MediaFiles linked with my FCP7. Avid can't read them because they were copied from the originally drive, instead they should have been consolidated. But there were never any problems in FCP7.

I believe Avid is so popular first and foremost because of its network/server solutions. Not because of the interface. In all circumstances it's hard to be an editor and not know
Avid, at least in my part of the world. And with the end of FCP as we know it Avid will be even bigger.

Brian

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Aug 7, 2011 at 8:50:52 pm

I just picked up the Media Composer for FCP users DVD and it's fantastic. Still, it's been said time and time again here, don't force Avid to work like FCP because they don't quite work the same way, but it'll get you up and running very quick, and it's $50 on Avid's website.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:17:06 pm

[Brian Vedholm] "It can be learned. Everything is just a little more complicated. "

Actually, I'm not sure this is 100% accurate. It's just different. That alone does not make it "more complicated." Generally speaking there are probably a dozen ways to accomplish any one thing in Avid. Once you pick the one that you like, you'll most likely find that it isn't "complicated" at all, but in fact very flexible and efficient. I feel the same way when I'm forced to use FCP 7; everything feels complicated and unintuitive. Hang in there.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mike Chedwick
on Aug 7, 2011 at 10:53:18 pm

Get Steve Cohen's book "Avid Agility" and quit complaining...this is not the first post like this from you Greg. It's getting old.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:28:50 am

said I was sorry Geesh...Tuff Crowd

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:38:46 am

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/5732#5732

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
on Aug 11, 2011 at 12:35:38 am

Paltex.... gosh I liked that system. My hands could fly over the keybd...got out of editing, except as a producer to rough cut with both AVID and FCP, now heading back in. Have been taking the LYNDA.com training course, as well as AVID online course and the lessons available here at creativecow. I do like the cleaner interface of the AVID. It is much faster to use for me. AMA is just super for EX footage.

Regards,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Aug 11, 2011 at 10:10:20 pm

Gosh I'd forgotten about the Paltex, amazing system for off-lining, you could even track a list from a second generation off-line, and you didn't have to write down the edl from the BITC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]