AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Clip Enable and Disable - Can Avid do this

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Rundell
Clip Enable and Disable - Can Avid do this
on Aug 2, 2011 at 6:35:49 pm

I will migrate to Avid soon--- However while using FCP 7, often within the timeline I can enable or disable a clip (picture and/or sound) with a mouse right click and choose Clip Enable or Disable within the contextual menu. It's helpful for when wanting to throw somthing away, but still keep it in the timeline, yet hidden. Can Avid do this?

I know you can put images to a higher track and select not to play that track on playback, but that would not work for sound, I think.

Those who know the app well, any ideas?

Matt Rundell

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Clip Enable and Disable - Can Avid do this
on Aug 2, 2011 at 6:37:20 pm

You cannot enable/disable clips. Would be nice though.

For sound, just move the clips to a lower track and disable the track.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Matthew Rundell
on Aug 2, 2011 at 7:09:11 pm

Ok thanks.

Matt Rundell

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:33:58 am

[Michael Hancock] "For sound, just move the clips to a lower track and disable the track."

For video you could do the same (move to a higher track and only view the tracks below. It is a good FCP feature though. You can always put a request in here.

I think it has been requested before though...

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:36:35 pm

For sound you can leave it where it is, just drag the level down to zero.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Aug 4, 2011 at 11:48:08 am

What I often do with the video is put my shots on the timeline then as someone said move them to a higher track or more often edit on a higher track leaving my "might come in useful" shots underneath.

As long as the shots above are opaque there is no problem ( in AVID a PIC effect needs to be added to get the effect, so no problem here.)

[The only problem you may get is if using a server (EVS) and "send to playback", the hidden shots are "seen" if offline or of the wrong video format (SD/HD), and need to be removed.]

With AVID you can view at a different video track (or even solo a track) and unlike FCP7 the renders are not lost!

With audio just mute/solo or turn the whole track off.
I often edit a full mix and M&E together, and just monitor the appropriate tracks in stereo out, until playout when I mix-down and playout in 4-track direct out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]