AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid MC5, media not playing (but scrubbing fine)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Hawes
Avid MC5, media not playing (but scrubbing fine)
on Jul 28, 2011 at 10:20:09 am

Hi,

I've just installed Avid MC5 on an HPZ800 Workstation with a 12-core Intel(Z) Xeon(R) processor, 6GB RAM and an NVIDIA Quadro 4000, on Windows 7 professional.

The video is scrubbing perfectly, but annoyingly isn't playing! I've had a browse through several online threads and haven't managed to resolve the problem... Any suggestions?

Many thanks for your help :)

Kris

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Avid MC5, media not playing (but scrubbing fine)
on Jul 28, 2011 at 2:24:37 pm

What driver do you have installed for your graphics card? Here's a version matrix: http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=267087

Also, make sure there are no windows overlapping your Source/Record monitors, and that no portion of them is offscreen (even having a couple pixels offscreen can affect this).

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Kris Hawes
on Jul 28, 2011 at 2:44:55 pm

Hi,

Thanks very much for getting back to me :)

The NVIDIA driver version is 8.17.12.5977, and was the number AVID recommended for use. I actually had a slightly higher version installed initially, but AVID was asking to downgrade to that one. Both the Source and Project preview windows are in full view, although for some reason I'm not able to adjust the size of either of them.

It feels like it may be to do with the machine lacking memory, as it seems to be working on occassion, but only about 10% of the time, and isn't working in conjunction with any specific adjustments I've made. I'm using a 12-core Xeon with 6GB of RAM, so only 0.5GB per core, do you think this could be something to do with it?

Thanks again,

Kris

Return to posts index

Kris Hawes
on Jul 28, 2011 at 2:45:43 pm

Hi,

Thanks very much for getting back to me :)

The NVIDIA driver version is 8.17.12.5977, and was the number AVID recommended for use. I actually had a slightly higher version installed initially, but AVID was asking to downgrade to that one. Both the Source and Project preview windows are in full view, although for some reason I'm not able to adjust the size of either of them.

It feels like it may be to do with the machine lacking memory, as it seems to be working on occassion, but only about 10% of the time, and isn't working in conjunction with any specific adjustments I've made. I'm using a 12-core Xeon with 6GB of RAM, so only 0.5GB per core, do you think this could be something to do with it?

Thanks again,

Kris

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Jul 30, 2011 at 9:59:28 am

When you press play does the source or record monitor flash at the edges? If it does, it's likely a window or bin overlapping, as mentioned. Try moving them all away from the area and check or "window" menu and "home". Avid (I think) only "sees" 4gb RAM max, even if you have 32gb it makes no difference. Could be wrong on that one though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]