AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

FCP to avid mc 5.5 or wait for mc 6?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bartek Zee
FCP to avid mc 5.5 or wait for mc 6?
on Jul 16, 2011 at 11:06:00 pm

What would all of you suggest for an FCP switcher...should one jump at the opportunity of getting MC 5.5 for half price or wait for the new version MC 6. Will an upgrade be possible with MC 6? I'm diggin the 30 day trial on my macbook pro. Thanks for any thoughts.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP to avid mc 5.5 or wait for mc 6?
on Jul 17, 2011 at 12:10:28 am

Get MC 5.5 now if you like it. Upgrades are generally not that pricy (although probably more than FCP X, of course) and odds are that actual operation will not be significantly different. My guess is that you won't get the crossgrade deal on the new version or it may be released after the crossgrade promotion expires.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 17, 2011 at 2:15:31 am

Buying MC5.5 now, then getting the 6.0 upgrade will be cheaper than waiting and buying MC 6 outright. And always buy when you need. Waiting for the next version is not the way to do things.

Look what happened to the FCP 6 people... Not to imply that Avid will do the same thing. But you don't know when MC 6 will come out.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Jul 17, 2011 at 11:09:47 am

I would be surprised if it wasn't out by the end of the year, but like the others I would think it will be cheaper to crossgrade now and then upgrade later.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Trainer - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Dane Henry
on Jul 17, 2011 at 6:32:06 pm

Agreed. I don't think you'll find a better deal than the cross-grade. I just did the AVID crossgrade/Adobe Upgrade package for $1699 from Videoguys(with a COW coupon #)....Comes with $100 credit for FCP to Avid class on demand.

Stoked! and very excited about what AVID is doing for 6.0, I would love to be able to use my BM Multibridge with Avid. Love that it works great with the Adobe suite with out issues.

FYI. not an advertisement just can't believe I got that package for this cheap...THANKS A TON APPLE!

-Dane
deeprootsmedia.com
shootcutcolor.com

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:29:55 am

I'm guessing NAB but just purely a guess.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jul 18, 2011 at 12:48:07 pm

If you intend to edit on AVID soon I'd go for the cross grade purchase now.

In London (where most broadcasters use AVID)
I edit mainly on AVID with a little fcp7 (even some fcp6)

Most of my clients are only just moving from MC4.? to 5.0
( I gather some are having problems running 5.5 with an ISIS and or Interplay)

MC5.? will be around a long time in the facilities houses.

PS If you learn on MC5, MC4. will be no problem :-)

Steve

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:58:22 pm

Unless you get used the smart tool? Which could be tempting for someone coming from Final Cut. If you're gonna learn Avid with the hope of getting gigs in post-houses, its probably still worth learning to trim without it. I've seen the same thing of many places still running 3.5 or 4. Thankfully there are very few left on 2 because AMA must have been a big draw.

Andy

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Trainer - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Marianna Montague
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:32:01 pm

The upgrades from MC 5 to MC 5.5 are cheaper than the upgrades from previous versions to MC 5.5. So staying current provides you with a cheaper upgrade option.

Then you need to decide - should you buy the software downlaod or the shippable kit. Software downlaods are cheaper and dont come with the Production Suite of app's. Those are BCC, AvidDVD, AvidFX, Sorenson Squeeze and Smartsound. If you have say a MC 5 seat and go to MC 5.5 then you probably dont need a new set of the production Suite application so a downlaod is probbly right for you. If however you have an older MC seat like 3.5, then you probably do want the shippable kit for a bit more so you get the udpated app's as well as MC 5.5.

Marianna
marianna.montague@avid.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]