AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Just switched back to Avid, what happened to the dongle???

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Devino
Just switched back to Avid, what happened to the dongle???
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:28:53 pm

After the FCPX debacle I realized it was time to move back to Avid so I picked up MC5.5 - and boy am I happy with where this program has gone in the past few years. It just feels very powerful and the smart tool is great. That being said, I didn't realize they discontinued using dongles. I was hoping I could install on my desktop and my laptop and just move the dongle back and forth to make it work on one machine or the other. Having to buy 2 seats of MC5.5 just so I can work while I'm traveling is a bit of a bummer for me. I guess I'll just have to keep running FCP 7 on the laptop... oh well.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Just switched back to Avid, what happened to the dongle???
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:51:33 pm

Install it on both systems. When you're done at your desktop, to to the Special menu and deactivate the software. Open it on your laptop and activate it. Do the reverse when you go back to your laptop.

Note - you'll need an internet connection.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Matt Devino
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:52:00 pm

Sounds like a bit of a pain in the butt, at least there's a work around. Thanks for this.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:59:24 pm

Yes and no. It's a couple clicks, but you have to remember to do it.

Personally, I love the dongle and never understood why people hated it so much, but the people spoke and Avid listened. Software activation is great for schools though.

I have heard that you can contact Avid Inside Sale and buy a dongle for $300, if it ends up being that important to you. If you travel a lot or use a lot of systems it would definitely be worth the investment.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:58:57 pm

Yeah, the deactivation/activation thing takes a bit to get used to. Forget to do it one day and you'll be calling your wife at home..."Honey, I just need you to turn on my computer, then open Avid, then open any project, go to this menu and choose DEACTIVATION." Of course that takes about 20 min as the wife has to find all the power switches on my home system, and then needs to use my funky mouse. And the kids keep asking for things.

Then again, I won't lose my dongle and end up shelling out $45,000 to Avid again. Unless it is $300 now when you lose it too. Or accidentally wash it with your pants.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Devino
on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:24:17 pm

Haha sounds like you've been through that a couple times Shane. So this is just a menu option and it's not like I need to enter a serial number each time? Thanks for the help guys.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:30:15 pm

I'm actually starting to like the software licensing, and I never thought I'd hear myself say that. When I forgot to deactivate my office machine, I simply logged into it with remote login and did it from the client's space. Piece of cake, really. And no more worries about lost, broken, or stolen dongles. As long as you have internet connectivity, it's actually quite painless.

Chris

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:20:02 am

No need to manually type in the activation number everytime. The machine can remember it. It's basically a virtual dongle. If anything happens, Avid has 24h free phone support for activation issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]