AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

FCP to AVID workflow question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Lyons
FCP to AVID workflow question
on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:44:11 am

eX-FCP editor heading back to AVID. (Karma's a bitch, I left AVID around FCP v1, the first time…)

To my scenario… I have a large Beta SP- SD library of media Offline RT sourced in for use with FCP. I have been working on a workflow that would allow me to use them instead of sourcing everything in again. Using MC 5.5 I am able to AMA link them, plays back well, edits well, timecodes match the BITC. I am happy.

Here's the rub, now I want to batch digitize a decomposed sequence just like the old days, but I am hitting a wall. AVID isn't allowing AMA media to be decomposed.

OK, To keep moving, I have transcoded a few clips, cut a test sequence and now I can decompose.

Next problem, source names. Luckily I had sourced all the clips in FCP such that all the source names are the first characters in the clip name ALWAYS. So I have to go in and assign source names to each of the clips manually.

To my questions, Is there anyway to:
1) Change AMA linked media in such a way that it would allow for decomposing ?
2) Script a Bin function that could automate adding the first 15 characters of each clip name into the TAPE field?

Lastly, I have been working a bit with Cat DV and its nice to know the ALE Log file it exports includes a Tape name, but then the problem is linking to the existing Offline RT media.

Anyone have a suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: FCP to AVID workflow question
on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:41:07 pm

At this point, there is no ability to add a TAPE to a file managed under AMA which puts the source file name in a column called "Source File". Also, there is no scripting within Media Composer, but there is the ability to duplicate columns back and forth amongst each other. But that won't help you in this scenario.

The only way to get TAPE as source from your file name, is to use the free application MetaCheater to create an ALE file from your QT sources. The ALE file can then be modified in a text editor as needed for number of characters desired in the TAPE column.

Import ALE first, then batch import sources into selected clip. You now have a TAPE source for the QT movies. Downside is that this method created duplicate media and the transcode is not as fast as an AMA transcode.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:10:54 pm

Thank you Michael. Metacheater is a cool tool, and I see what you mean, lots of duplicated media and time to import! Bummer. It would be nice to be able to promote an AMA linked asset to a traditional tape based asset.

If anyone else knows of a way to have AVID use existing footage (as you do with AMA) AND be able to assign a tape name to it so that it is able to edit with and then properly consolidate for recapture from tape via traditional Batch digitize, please let me know.

THANKS!
j

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:48:31 pm

meant to say decompose and not consolidate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]