AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Importing HDV footage from Sony z7u

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Natasha Mottola
Importing HDV footage from Sony z7u
on Apr 24, 2011 at 12:25:41 am

Hi,

I am working on a long form documentary with some footage from a sony Z7U.

I was told i could link to an AMA, but it only works for some of the folders from the cards, which leads me to belive the producer changed the filepath which is why the Avid doesn't recognize it.

My next resolution was to simply import them, but to my surprise, when importing them into avid, there are sections of the footage missing. What I realized was that AVID has a difficult time reading the clips that span over more than one file.

My resolution to that was to log and transfer them into Final Cut, as FCP seems to be able to bridge the gap over the files, not loosing any footage.

My ultimate issue now is the fact that when I try to import the Quicktimes that FCP made from the files, I only get one audio track in the avid, when the Quicktime has two separate tracks.

So my question is, what is the simplest way to work with HDV footage from a Z7U with Avid? I would love not to have to use FCP at all, but I'm willing to try anything at this point. I have had to start from the drawing board and just want the next time to be done right. I do have Avid Assurance, but would really love to get support from the real pros!

I have a mac pro (latest OSX) running MC 5.5. Project settings are 1080p 23.98 DNXHD 115. Footage shot at 23.98 on the Z7u. Lots more tech specs, but I can't think of them right now...

Any advice or experience with this is truly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
Re: Importing HDV footage from Sony z7u
on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:06:57 pm

I used to work with a SONY Z7U fairly often on MC3. My workflow back then was to just do a "fast import" off of the Z7U hard drive with color import levels at 601/709. I would do a general search for all .m2t files, pick them accordingly, and then import all of them. So thats something to try, I cannot say what the best 5.5 workflow is.

I cannot solve your issue as to why pieces of your footage is missing, do you mean sections of individual clips? Or whole clips altogether?

"Where that light source is coming from?"
"The same place as the music."

Return to posts index

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
Re: Importing HDV footage from Sony z7u
on Jun 14, 2011 at 11:45:13 pm

I downloaded a .pdf from Sony
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/micro/hdtapelessworkflow/manuals/2...
and followed their workflow on MC 3.5.3. I don't use AMA

I also remember a discussion on Avid-L2 by editors using MC 5.0
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/avid-l2/

Jayasri (Joyce) Hart
Los Angeles, USA
htp://home.earthlink.net/~hartfilms

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]