AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Nitris Interface

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leif Eric
Nitris Interface
on Aug 17, 2010 at 1:19:27 am

Hi everyone.

I feel kinda newbie-ish asking this question but what the heck, that's what the cow's for, right? (I hope so).

I'm familiar with Avid's interface from my experience cutting on film composer, media composer, adrenaline, symphony, and my home xpress pro system. Recently, I've been offered a gig that might be on a Nitris. I've heard about nitris but have yet to cut on one and I definitely do not want to walk into the editbay unprepared.
Will my past experience w/ Avid be enough to understand most and figure out the rest while still being able to cut? Is there anything majorly different about the Nitris interface that I should consider schooling up on before accepting the job?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Leif

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Nitris Interface
on Aug 17, 2010 at 8:56:54 am

Your question is a bit confusing, as a Nitris does not have much of an interface.

The Nitris (the classic version) is a hardware box that was first designed for and used with Avid DS, and later also used with Avid Symphony. The newer version, the Nitris DX, works with either Avid Symphony or Avid Media Composer, whereas the newer Avid DS uses a Kona card.

Likely, you are asked to work on a Avid DS Nitris. Folks say that a DS works more like FCP than like MC. That's about what I know about it, though ;-)

Return to posts index

Leif Eric
on Aug 17, 2010 at 6:34:29 pm

Yeah, I kinda felt like it was a clunky question. I guess I was under the impression that Avid had somehow changed the "look" of it's editing interface. Now I gather from your response and other threads (which I probably should have read before posting) that Nitris is more a hardware thing than a software interface.
Thanks for the response.
-Leif

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:29:51 am

As Job pointed out, it's a problem with semantics. Simply saying 'Nitris' is descriptive enough.
If this job is on a MC or Symphony with a Nitris DX you'll be fine. If it's on a DS Nitris you could end up in the tall grass very quickly. DS is an awesome tool, but it's not something you want to be learning with an over caffeinated producer pacing behind you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]