AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Using a Linux-Based File Server with MC5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dom Dalliac
Using a Linux-Based File Server with MC5
on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:30:17 pm

Hello.

I am just now starting to learn Avid Media Composer (been editing with FCP for years). I have a 30TB Linux-based file server on my home network (attached via ethernet) that has played nice with both my Macs and Windows editing machines (the file server is a homebuilt Unraid system in case you are interested).

The problem that I'm having is that neither my Mac nor my Windows MC5 will recognize the network shares as media drives. Is this not possible with MC5? Am I completely out of luck? I really need to figure this out, because if I cannot use my file server, I have pretty much wasted my money on Media Composer.

Very important: I am not attempting to share projects with another editor. I am a single editor who needs to utilize the storage on my server for the Avid media files that make up my projects. Oh, and I cannot at the moment even consider a Unity or EditShare system (buying legit copies of Mac & Windows MC5 broke the bank).

Thanks in advance...

Dom

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Using a Linux-Based File Server with MC5
on Aug 4, 2010 at 3:08:48 am

Open your console in Media Composer (Ctrl+6 on a PC, Cmd+6 on a Mac), then type 'alldrives' without the quotes. Avid will now recognize network drives as media drives.

Let me know if it doesn't work.

----------------
Michael Hancock
http://www.oswaldcommunications.com

Return to posts index

Dom Dalliac
on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:47:20 pm

Michael,

Thanks so much--that did indeed allow MC to "see" the drive.

However, now I'm having an additional problem. On my Mac Avid (Snow Leopard 10.6.4), I get this error message:

"Exception: Operation not supported, filename:/Volumes/xxx/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1/Creating/creatingxxx"

So something along the way isn't allowing (or MC5 isn't allowing itself) to write to the server.

If you or anyone else can think of anything that I might try to solve this, I'd really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Loring Weinkauf
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:25:16 pm

What network filesystem(s) (CIFS, NFS, AFP, etc.) are you using on the Linux server to share the volumes out?

Also, what is the underlying block filesystem of the Linux server volume that you are sharing (EXT3, REISER FS, etc.)?

Loring Weinkauf
Systems Administrator / Media Manager
90 Degrees West
St. Louis, MO

Return to posts index

Dom Dalliac
on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:10:01 pm

Loring,

What you asked I didn't know right away, but I looked it up on the UnRaid site. I believe the answers to your questions are 1) CIFS (Samba) and 2) Reiser FS.

I believe that UnRaid just added support for NFS if a user chooses to use it. (I have no idea what the difference is...all I know is that my server has functioned perfectly for me with my FCP/Premiere workflows in the past two years).

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Loring Weinkauf
on Aug 6, 2010 at 6:48:54 pm

Either the Apple or UnRAID implementation of SMB/CIFS may be compatible for simple file transfers, but may not support whatever I/O operation that AVID is trying to perform.

I would suggest accessing the storage via NFS from Apple & AVID, to see if you receive the same error.

Loring Weinkauf
Systems Administrator / Media Manager
90 Degrees West
St. Louis, MO

Return to posts index

Dom Dalliac
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:29:39 pm

I should add that my PC machine can write to the server just fine...this is a problem on the Mac side of things.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Norden
on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:21:53 am

Hi Dom! Sounds to me like a permission problem, cifs/smb works if you want to share a drive with the avid, but with the mac you might have to create a specific user and give that user write permissions to make it work. Also, trying DAVE, a replacement for the built in smb client in OSX, might help you, they have a demo you can try for a month I think.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Return to posts index

Dom Dalliac
on Aug 20, 2010 at 9:01:33 am

David,

Thanks for the response. I think it's definitely an issue with Snow Leopard. I just installed MC on my MacBook Pro (which is running Leopard) and I can write to my server just fine.

The Sharing & Permissions settings for MC are set to "Read & Write" for all users, by the way. I just don't know what more to do beyond that.

I have never heard of DAVE. I will look into it. Thanks again for the tips.

Dom

Return to posts index

David Norden
on Aug 20, 2010 at 1:55:32 pm

I know they changed a lot in the smb/cifs client on Snow Leopard, but have a try with DAVE, makes thing easier for us at least...

Best Regards David

Return to posts index

Dom Dalliac
on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:38:11 am

Awesome! DAVE worked. Now I can do things like consolidate media to my network server from my Mac (something my PC does just fine).

Now the big question: What did DAVE do to my network connection to facilitate this? I have 30 days left on the trial, which gives me 30 days to figure this out. Then I'll have to pay almost $150 for a year's license of DAVE, which is a lot to pay for this one bit of functionality.

If anyone has any ideas, I sure would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]