AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Upgrading / Installing MC5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naveen Mallikarjuna
Upgrading / Installing MC5
on Jun 23, 2010 at 4:17:33 pm

We recently purchased a MacPro running Avid MC4. I'm now trying to upgrade to MC5 (the free upgrade).

I downloaded the MC5 upgrade from the Avid site. I then made the mistake of running the installer before first uninstalling the existing MC4 installation.

When I tried to run MC5 I received a Bus Error. After more thoroughly reading through the documentation, I uninstalled MC5.

I uninstalled Media Composer (via the uninstaller for AvidEditingApplication), then AvidCoreRuntime, AvidDIORuntime, and AvidCodecs PE.

There are still traces of Avid all over the machine, including Filmscribe and Avid EDL Manager.

Am I now safe to run the Avid installer? Or do I need to further wipe the machine of all things Avid?

Thanks!
Naveen

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Upgrading / Installing MC5
on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:59:03 pm

I'd wipe the drive completely, install the OS fresh, then install MC5. Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Baertsch
Re: Upgrading / Installing MC5
on Jul 2, 2010 at 3:00:26 pm

Though a clean installation is always the safest route, it is not necessary. Just run the uninstaller for the old version and install the new one. Be sure to keep your user settings, but do not open them in V5, create a new user in V5 and import your settings (a new feature). Metasync, EDL manager etc all have installers that will automatically delete the old versions. You will love V5!

Dave

db Editorial
Avid Systems in Dallas, TX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]