AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

AVID and P2

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
AVID and P2
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:13:19 pm

I'm gonna cross post this on the P2 forum too, so please pardon me...

Here I am on a show that is editing on an Avid. Every scrap of it shot with P2. The HVX-200 and the HPX 3000 cameras. When I started, they were using Avid 2.7.7, and occasionally some shots would just go offline...gone. Then they'd need to reimport, as deleting the databases and rebuilding didn't find them, nor did the Media Manager. This was a problem, so I suggested that they upgrade to Avid 4.0.5, as it is more robust with P2, and has AMA for future stuff. They were sold and did the upgrade.

Well, the problem hasn't gone away. Files still go offline without notice. NOTE: We are using (2) USB drives to store this footage. A Seagate and a LaCie (I know...not my decision), and USB works well for playback, surprisingly. But, footage goes missing. I wonder if it is the drives.

But what REALLY irks me, is the so called "superior Avid media management." It isn't so superior when it comes to P2. One BIG thing, is that imported files HAVE NO REEL NAME! SO if files go offline, I can't trace back to the card and reimport. We have to search the logs to figure this out. FCP...no problem, the P2 card dump folder is the name of the REEL, so reimporting is a SNAP.

So, why am I writing? OH, yeah...anyone know how to track back to what card this footage came from? Or what might be the cause of it going offline?

Thank you,

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVID and P2
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:33:38 pm

OK, in the MEDIA TOOL, the clip shows up in YELLOW, as if it were an AMA clip, but the odd thing is that the duration says 8 hours. And when I try to load it, I get EXCEPTION: THE SEQUENCE OR ONE OF IT'S SOURCE ELEMENTS IS TOO LONG TO BE PLAYED. It isn't a sequence, it is a clip.

Reveal file shows the files in the 1 folder, but...how do I reimport that? Are they just corrupt? How do I find out what card it came from?

Avid is WEAK with P2...sorry...

Shane

Return to posts index

raja kamaraj
on Apr 2, 2010 at 9:45:22 am

hi
this is raja .i need for avid system config.

Return to posts index

Ryan McAfee
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:39:36 pm

"OH, yeah...anyone know how to track back to what card this footage came from? Or what might be the cause of it going offline?"

I have no idea how to track the card it came from because I thought the purpose of P2 is so you can reuse them. I mean cards aren't cheap. It goes off line because the files are not in the "Avid Media Files Folder" Avid consolidates all its media into one place. If it is not there, avid ain't going to find it. You need to highlight your P2 clips and consolidate them.

Hope that helps.

Ryan McAfee
Moon Community Access Television
http://www.MCA-TV.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:47:06 pm

Dude, we back up all the cards as they come it. THEN we import into Avid or FCP. NEVER EVER EVER in a MILLION YEARS would I even CONSIDER just consolidating from the cards then erasing the cards. Do you capture a tape then erase the tape? I hope not.

No, we have all the cards backed up on two drives...mirrored backup. THey are all labelled, BROOKS CARD 1 for A camera, and JIMMY CARD 1 for the B Camera. In FCP, when you import, the REEL NUMBER becomes the name you have given the card dump folder. So if you are missing footage, you look at the REEL and see JIMMY CARD 47, and then load that card to find the missing shot.

In AVID? Got me...

Shane

Return to posts index

Ryan McAfee
on Mar 30, 2010 at 8:50:37 pm

Homeboy,
You are correct about importing the cards content to the drive. (Duh) I know you would not erase a card before doing that. I kind of figured you were doing that already. Once you import the P2 folder (from the drive) Your clips go into a bin highlight those clips, go to file, go to Import P2, click on media, it should consolidate the media. Then when you close down Avid then re open your clips will still be there. If that does not work then stick to FCP or ICP or whatever.

Love and respect,
Ry Ry

Ryan McAfee
Moon Community Access Television
http://www.MCA-TV.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:42:44 am

[Shane Ross] "One BIG thing, is that imported files HAVE NO REEL NAME!"

Have not used P2, but with XDCAM you use "Disc Label" instead of "Reel Name". You need to add the heading to your bin, as its not in the default set.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]