AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Remote Media Sharing

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Vanderwyst
Remote Media Sharing
on Jan 6, 2010 at 12:59:46 am

Dear Avid Editors:

I need to acquire a means with which to digitize footage in one city and edit that footage in another city (using Avid on both sides) and then deliver completed files as uncompressed as possible (QT, MPG and/or AVI) back to city #1.

There's got to be a platform on which to accomplish this efficiently because I've heard of such applications used in feature filmmaking wherein the production would shoot a scene in New Zealand and the editor in LA would start cutting the next day through internet-based media sharing.

I don't need as much capacity as a feature film, as I would be doing short promos in standard def.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. Any thoughts?

Best,

Mike Vanderwyst
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Remote Media Sharing
on Jan 6, 2010 at 8:40:05 am

I don't think you will be able to actually _share_ files from the same storage (like the way that Avid Unity is shared storage), since that would require huge bandwidth and that 24/7.
However, if this is not too much footage, all you would need is enough bandwidth to be able to upload the captured/imported mediafiles on one side, and download it on the other. I'm pretty sure that this is how it's being done (also bear in mind that feature dailies are then usually sent as compressed offline footage).

As long as you have an exact copy of the mediafiles, you can work with the same footage, and exchange bins via email. These bins will instantly be linked to the same footage (now on a different drive). Did that once on a feature, where there were copies of the same media in two countries, and we just sent bins back and forth.

Return to posts index

Michael Vanderwyst
on Jan 6, 2010 at 5:47:57 pm

Thanks, Job!

Makes sense. I tried to have someone upload some media using ftp with my personal GoDaddy server space and it just took FOREVER to upload. Days, actually. Quite ridiculous. Any suggestions for where to go for higher bandwidth?

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jan 6, 2010 at 10:42:27 pm

I don't know where in the world you are. Some companies here have rather decent DSL fibre connections. How much footage are you trying to upload, at what resolution?

Return to posts index

Michael Vanderwyst
on Jan 6, 2010 at 11:48:09 pm

I am in Los Angeles, with a team in Chicago that would shoot, digitize and upload there.

I have no specifics on a particular project because I'm trying to think ahead for potential projects in the future. However, a likely scenario for one project would be one hour of footage in standard def, compressed at 15:1, pic res 720x480.

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Jan 10, 2010 at 9:54:26 am

Fedex a drive?

Return to posts index

Michael Vanderwyst
on Jan 11, 2010 at 7:40:44 pm

Of course, but I want even faster than Fedex :)

Mike

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:43:55 pm

Sounds like a 2GB upload max. Your upload speeds would determine how fast that could go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]