AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

avid DLT 4000 data retreiving

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Aubry
avid DLT 4000 data retreiving
on Jun 8, 2009 at 5:43:45 am

I have old data on DLT IV from a DLT 4000 drive (packaged by AVID) that I wish to retrieve.

It was on on a Media Composer Meridian of some sort using os9 i think.

What software it will likely be uses to backup those data and how could I retrieve it using a PC or a PPC OSX G4?

The Hardware is recognize on my G4, but what will be the software to use except tar?

Return to posts index

Berry Helfand
Re: avid DLT 4000 data retreiving
on Oct 31, 2017 at 9:44:45 pm

Hi...

found this post during a google search. I have an old DLT IV that i need to unarchive.

did you ever find a solution... or someone who could unarchive your tape

thanks in advance!

Berry

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 1, 2017 at 10:20:00 pm

Hi Berry -
you now understand that the comment from every LTO manufacturer that "LTO lasts for 30 years" is a BIG LIE.
You cant' read DLT, you cant read AIT, you cant read LTO 1, 2, 3, and most people cant read LTO4. And soon you won't be able to read LTO 5. LTO 8 just came out.

Just like SCSI drives, IOMEGA disks, floppy disks, etc, etc, etc. for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, you need to migrate data to the next format (basically no more than every 5 - 6 years) or you are SCREWED. LTO 8 just came out. It's late 2017. You know what LTO 8 will be in 2023 ? A JOKE !!!! No technology will exist in 2023 to read a thunderbolt 3 or miniSAS 6G LTO LTFS tape. WAKE UP. All this technology lasts 5 -6 years. End of story. Migrate your data, or you are screwed.

By the way, you don't happen to have a Hi-8 VTR or Betamax VTR, do you ?

Bob Zelin

ps - any ideas of how I can get Lotus 123 .wk1 files to be read my any modern program ?

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Berry Helfand
on Nov 7, 2017 at 7:07:15 pm

Hi Bob:

thanks... i think... for your reply. You are definitely right, although I can't tell whether or not if you're trying to scold me for holding on to this tape for so long!

In answer to your question, I don't have hi8 or Beta anymore. Or, were you just furthering my public humiliation? 😉

best of luck with your Lotus project

Berry

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 8, 2017 at 9:26:06 pm

Hi -
I apologize if you feel that I was trying to humiliate you. This was not my intention.
It is my intention to EDUCATE everyone on all these forums about data migration.
There is a fantasy that "I bought the best most reliable system there is". That "best, most reliable, most expensive" system will be a worthless piece of junk in 5 years, and a joke in 10 years.

Example - the new iMac Pro (not yet released) - will be USELESS in 2028. Many people get emotional over this, as they are thinking about spending $5000 - $10,000 for this new (yet unreleased computer). SATA drives will become just like SCSI drives - useless. I had over the years people say "I am not using SATA drives, they are not as reliable as SCSI drives". Well WHERE are those people now - oh, I know the answer - they are UNEMPLOYED. Your only salvation is your own data migration (from one format to another as they come out), or pay a cloud company to do it for you. Because whatever Amazon, Apple and Google are using now will be in the garbage 5 years from now. It's just that you pay them for monthly storage, so you don't think about it.

The stupid idea (as you are now stuck with ) that DLT, AIT, LTO, Laserdisk, Zip Disk, DVD, etc, etc is going to last for the next 30 years is just stupidity. NOTHING IS SAFE. The only thing that is safe is constant backup, and constant data migration. Is this a PAIN IN THE BUTT ? You bet it is, and people make their living doing this stuff.

Sorry, but people can be so blind. We saw this with video tape, going from format to format every few years.
How many people will have 35 mm Film scanners in 2050 (for those that always say "well, film doesn't suffer these issues".

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]