AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Average Clip Length in Projects?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Burke
Average Clip Length in Projects?
on Jun 4, 2009 at 1:06:28 pm

What is the general feeling on average clip length? I use DV scene extraction to create subclips, then consolidate the subclips to master clips so that if I need more space I can start deleting unused clips.

This means I tend to keep most clips under 3 minutes. Is that the same for most people or do some prefer to bring in a source from tape as one long clip?

James Burke
Creative Director
mBlaze Multimedia Design, Inc.
http://www.mBlaze.com

Return to posts index

Joe Womble
Re: Average Clip Length in Projects?
on Jun 4, 2009 at 1:24:30 pm

James,

It really depends on the project for me.

If I have a long performance or presentation, either with one camera or multiple cameras, I'll bring it in via one long clip.

Similarly, if the tape segment is very short or marginal B-roll clips, for instance, where I do not need to log each clip, I will bring it in as one long clip and let DV scene extraction do the dirty work of subclipping.

All of this is moot when dealing with P2 or XDCAM clips, however, which is the majority of what I deal with these days.

Regards,

Joe Womble

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Average Clip Length in Projects?
on Jun 6, 2009 at 7:16:17 pm

It's a metter of preference and workflow. When I edit for a client who brings elements and a script, I go by his or her log with no regard to durations of raw clips. When I edit projects I shoot, all raw clips are one hour long... the length of the tape. I use locators to mark anything I need to and this helps keeps my bins short and sweet. I always keep sperate bins for audio, grafix, broll, talkin' heads, ect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]