AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

MC to FCP...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zak Ray
MC to FCP...
on Feb 21, 2009 at 11:45:02 pm

Hey all-- I'm hoping someone familiar enough with both Avid and FCP can help me out here.

I'm from an FCP background. I shoot all of my material in HDV 1080i60. I capture native HDV, cut everything in FCP in an HDV sequence (with the render codec set to ProRes), and grade it with the 3-Way CC (but am looking to foray soon into Color). I then export the finished sequence to a ProRes file, bring it back into a new ProRes timeline, and apply Graeme Nattress' "Film Effects" filter, giving the footage a 24p look while maintaing the 29.97 framerate. But since my destination is the web, I don't need that 29.97 framerate, and so I export that sequence and bring it into Cinema Tools to remove the 3:2 pulldown, conforming the final video to a lovely 1920x1080, progressive, 23.98 fps, ProRes422 QuickTime video.

BUT.

I am now looking to learn Avid. I'd love to cut my projects in MC as I follow online tutorials and read manuals, but I still need to have that finished 1920x1080, progressive, 23.98 fps QuickTime product. And since a) I'm looking to learn Color, and b) there are too many FCP plugins I use for grading/titles/effects, I need to eventually get back to FCP for finishing. So, short of buying Automatic Duck or MXF4QT... what are my options? I could do an EDL, but I'm trying to learn more of Avid's functionality beyond simple cuts and trims.

Thanks much,
Zak

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MC to FCP...
on Feb 22, 2009 at 9:11:26 pm

As I stated on the Apple forums...

Without MXF4QT, you will have to recapture.

Without Automatic Duck, you will be hard pressed to get an EDL from Avid to work in FCP, even if you stuck to straight cuts and dissolves. The Duck will ONLY transfer straight cuts and dissolves, because custom Avid effects do not transfer to FCP.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Zak Ray
Re: MC to FCP...
on Feb 22, 2009 at 9:16:23 pm

Thanks Shane, I posted this simultaneously with my other one, just hadn't gotten around to closing it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]