AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid MC 3.0 backwards to MC 2.8

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
Avid MC 3.0 backwards to MC 2.8
on Jan 21, 2009 at 3:35:24 am

I hate asking this question because I KNOW FOR CERTAIN that when 3.0 came out this question was asked a lot. I wanted to search for the answer but the forum search turned up nil, and Google search didn't reap fruit either. I am a big fan of searching for the answer.

ANYWAY...I digress. I have Avid MC 3.0.5 and was asked to edit for a company that has in house Avids running MC 2.8. I can't install 2.8 on my systems because 1) The MacPro is the newer one that is Leopard only, 2) my MacBook Pro is running Leopard...sold with Leopard...so I don't have the Tiger install disks and 3) My Powerbook DOES have Leopard disks, but I use it for all my P2 demos so I don't want to wipe it out just yet.

SO...big question is, if I have a 3.0 project and cut and give the company a bin from a 3.0 project will they have ANY issues opening that in 2.8?

Thank you,

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Avid MC 3.0 backwards to MC 2.8
on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:08:43 am

No, you shouldn't.

However, any plugins or effects you use that aren't on the other system won't show up. The effect icon will be there, but the effect won't.

To be safe, give them the bins and not the whole project. They should make a new project by the same name as your and just drop the bins into that.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:11:21 am

You, like me, are everywhere Michael. Thanks for the answer on Avid.com too.

Thanks for the info.

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:13:38 am

ANd I don't have any effects other than the stock effects...so hopefully there aren't many more that the new version has over the old (other than the new AVX timecode one, but I won't use that).

Shane

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:32:46 am

The new timecode effect and the subcap are the only two new ones that I can think of. If you're giving them media too, just render all the effects and they'll be online until they do something to unrender them. At least they can get a look at what you're going for.

If you do need to use a timecode effect, there is another one but it's not nearly as nice as the new one and it's not realtime. I think it's under the Illusion category or something (not at an Avid right now).

And yes, I'm online far too much!

Michael

PS. Nice review on your blog of MC 3.x. Very well done, and glad to see you're liking the software. Now if they would just fix their effects handling and compositing...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:36:07 am

Yeah, that is the drawback with Avid. But then FCP and media management sucks. Thanks for the kind words about my review. It was a long time coming, but I wanted to really USE it before I commented on it.

I just did a tutorial on how to use film effects footage from Artbeats in Avid and FCP. Avid is tough...FCP is easy.

Shane

Return to posts index

Terence Curren
on Jan 21, 2009 at 11:44:35 am

Shane,

You've been on FCP too long. Avid has always been great about backwards compatibility. :-)

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2009 at 8:22:36 am

Well, there have always been issues. I just wanted to be sure so that I could sell the idea to my client. I want to work from home, and not spend 2 hours a day on the road that can be better served either working or helping kids with homework. Or sleeping.

Shane

Return to posts index

Piri Miller
on Mar 25, 2009 at 7:51:57 pm

Shane, did you test this and did it work out okay?
Recently we've had some incidences of being unable to open bins created in MC 3.1.2 on older systems including Xpress Pro 5.6 and MC 2.8. Interestingly, we were able to open and adjust/repair the bins on one MC 2.8 system but not the other.
I also could not find any answers to this one. Wonder if anyone else is experiencing this.

Cheers,

Piri

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 25, 2009 at 8:02:31 pm

Oh, mine worked just fine. But I went from 3.0.5 to 2.8. From Mac to Mac. I have not tried 3.1.1 or 3.5. I think once you start going too many versions ahead you start getting issues.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]