AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Mixing Nitris DX/Meridien on Unity 5.0

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Ryan
Mixing Nitris DX/Meridien on Unity 5.0
on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:50:47 am

We've got 5 MC Meridien's and 1 MC Adrenaline Mojo operating on sneakernet but the future is calling and we're going to jump into Nitris DX and Unity 5.0 Avid Media Engine FC very soon.
Any thoughts on the merging of Nitris/MXF and Meridien/OMF on the same Unity 5.0. Can it be done?

Need to make the transition in phases and our workflow demands flexibilty with scheduling and editors. I know I can't be the only one considering this but haven't seen anything posted regarding this and wondering if anyone is attempting this or has any thoughts.

Thanks

Doug

Return to posts index

Rory Brennan
Re: Mixing Nitris DX/Meridien on Unity 5.0
on Jun 18, 2008 at 4:23:07 pm

Douglas,

Until someone else comes along, i'll just put my 2 cents in. As far as i'm aware, unity drives are just like external hard drives. That is, you can put whatever you want on them. We have mostly MC Adrenaline, but also Symphony Meridian and MC Meridian.

We have encountered no problems in sharing storage space and mixing MXF and OMF. The only issue is that Meridian cannot read MXF so we tend to capture all SD jobs OMF so they can to the Symphony Meridian. (Oh and creating projects on the Meridian system also helps for project compatibility.

Note though that we are using Unity 4.5 so I don't know if the situation has changed for 5.0

RB

Rory Brennan
Editor
New York City

Return to posts index

Douglas Ryan
on Jun 18, 2008 at 8:00:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that 5.0 isn't as compatible with MC Meridien and I can't go with Unity 4 because we're going to be doing a fair amount of HD work in multiple rooms.
Anybody else care to jump in here?

Return to posts index

Rory Brennan
on Jun 18, 2008 at 9:00:24 pm

Just a note:

Though I of course wouldn't expect you to go below Unity 5.0, but on Unity 4.5 we do HD up to DNX220 in multiple rooms at the same time.

RB

Rory Brennan
Editor
New York City

Return to posts index

Douglas Ryan
on Jun 18, 2008 at 9:58:02 pm

Thanks for the input. That's great to know and one more thing I get to consider in my fact gathering. I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

John Mitchell
on Jun 23, 2008 at 5:52:46 am

There is also trade in pricing for Meridien to Nitris DX (don't know if that interests you or not) - check the website for details..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]