AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

AVID via Bootcamp?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Anderson
AVID via Bootcamp?
on Jan 27, 2008 at 5:19:09 am

Hi all... new here.

I have been cutting on AVID for 15 years, since version 5 when AVR26 was as good as it got. Done small films, big films, TVC's, doco's blah blah blah.

I have recently built my own suite and discovered that FCP was a better financial solution in terms of going full HD. As much as I am really digging FCP, I do miss AVID. I'm just so much faster in AVID-land. So I was wondering, can I set up an AVID solution on my MacPro via Bootcamp or Parallels or similar?

I figure if I upgrade my system disk to 1TB and allocate a portion of it for a Windows XP OS then I could install Media Composer and hook up an SDI Mojo for my offline work, then export the sequence via automatic duck into FCP for Online, keeping the PC OS completely AVID friendly and seperate without messing up my Mac OS.

Anyone done this/doing this?

MacPro 8 core 3ghz - 8gig RAM - Mac OS 10.4.11
2.5tb internal RAID on Apple Raid Card
+ AJA Kona 3 + Sonnet External RAID

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
Re: AVID via Bootcamp?
on Jan 27, 2008 at 7:11:21 am

Sorry, just discovered a similar post asking the same thig.

Any updates since the October post would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 27, 2008 at 12:01:20 pm

Avid works under bootcamp, but last time i've checked, Mojo is not recognized.
But if it's offline only, get two large widescreen monitors and run Avid on one, video on the other.
With todays monitor sizes/resolutions you have enough space for Avid even on one monitor.
As for output, it's faster to render a DVD for client approval
than to make a RT dub.

Bouke

http://www.videoToolShed.com
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Jan 29, 2008 at 8:56:59 pm

Thanks.

The system was built as an FCP machine.

I think what I will do is upgrade my system drive to 1TB and create two seperate bootable partitions. One with all my FCP etc on it and the other solely for AVID with no nasty things to upset it. I need this primarily as a digitising station to feed other suites so I need i/o from the DNA.

Return to posts index

tristan tumble
on Jan 30, 2008 at 1:35:56 am

why not just run avid in osx? avid now supports the intel machines on the mac side.

Return to posts index

Tom Di
on Feb 8, 2008 at 1:34:58 am

MC (software only) won't run on Leopard.
I am waiting for my new MP to arrive and am unable to install Tiger onto it...apparantly. So I too need to install Media Composer through boot camp and Windows.
So...Kris...any updates? Are you successfully running MC on the boot camp side? I'd love to compare notes, especially since I have access to a Mojo and can test it to see if it works or not.
I have heard that one needs to have a separate Firewire bus to run Mojo as well as external FW drives.
Please post your experiences.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
ken wanninger
on May 8, 2008 at 11:36:47 pm

I am running Media Composer 2.8 w/Mojo on Leopard 10.5.2 on a MacBook Pro with no problems. I'm also running MC 2.8 on the same machine in Vista through Parallels. I haven't tried Bootcamp, but If it works in Parallels, I'm sure it will work in Bootcamp.

Return to posts index

Jayasri Hart
on Apr 15, 2009 at 4:35:21 am

Ken,
Are you still on 2.8 or have you upgraded to 3.0? If you have upgraded, I would like to know how that's working for you because I have 2.8.1 and an SD Mojo.

Jayasri Hart
HARTFILMS
Los Angeles, USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]