AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

opening old quicktimes

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peterallen
opening old quicktimes
on Nov 14, 2007 at 12:04:01 pm

Hi,

Worked on an older Mac-based Avid ( ABVB MC 7.1 / Mac 9500 - I believe OS 6. something ) and output some reference quicktime movies. This was a couple of years back, the sytem since decomissioned. Now I want to open these reference movies and low and behold, they dont open. Granted I'm now on a new G5 but still, the movies open and while the audio is there, the video screen is white. Opening inspector, a video track is revealed and the format is Media Composer. The file sizes also reveal that there is video information there somewhere, I'm just not able to open...
Is there such a thing as an older MC codec to install in MAC OSX 10.4.1 that enables QT to play?
Any other solution?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

mBlaze
Re: opening old quicktimes
on Nov 14, 2007 at 12:50:15 pm

I'm assuming you mean Quicktime with the source Avid Codec - a large Quicktime file, rather than a Quicktime reference which is usually under 100k. Do you have to a Mac with the older OS? Unfortunately, I don't believe Avid supported the old resolutions when they went to OSX with the Avid Codecs. I've had to go back to an older system (with the correct Codec) and use After Effects to convert to a file that the OSX-based system can read.

Return to posts index

peterallen
Re: opening old quicktimes
on Nov 14, 2007 at 4:35:03 pm

Thanks for replying,

Yes - I mean Quicktime self-contained file, albeit created with Media Composer compression...
Thing is, I have an old powerbook laying around running both OSX and OS9 in Classic mode...
and with the Avid OS9 codecs installed in the sytem folder but still no go -
Perhaps omething in the upgrades has rendered the old QTs unplayable.

I'll try the import to Efter Effects-

thanks again,
Pete

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]