AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Animatte Question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
parker C
Animatte Question
on Sep 10, 2007 at 4:55:02 pm

Is there a way to cut something out using the animatte, then shrink it down and move it around without moving the layer below? The way I'm doing it now is using the PIP effect, shrinking my image and placing it, then cutting out the subject I'm compositing.

Keep in mind these are rough composites, I am still in offline, but I can pull a much better matte starting at full size, rather than cutting it out when it is very small.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

MHancock (promoboy)
Re: Animatte Question
on Sep 10, 2007 at 5:27:28 pm

Apply the Resize effect, then Alt+Drag your animatte effect. Cut out whatever it is you're cutting out. While still in effect mode, double click (or Alt+Step In) to your effect and it will expand on the timeline. Select your Resize effect and adjust it.

By expanding your effects on the timeline (rather than just stepping into them) you'll be able to see the entire composite, making it much easier to accurately place things. When you're finished resizing, Alt+Step Out of the effect or double click the original.

If you do Animatte first then Alt+Drag your PIP or Resize effect it will also move the background. The Resize or PIP needs to be on the bottom of your effects stack.

Let me know if this works. If it doesn't, I have another way that's more convoluted but might work.

Michael.

Return to posts index

parker C
on Sep 10, 2007 at 5:46:38 pm

Yeah, I'm still running into the same problem. I cut it out as a large image, but when i shrink it down, the matte stays the same size. so then I have to go in and re-set the matte. Is there anyway to cut it out and then be able to treat the cut-out as it's own independent layer you can resize? Like a title matte?

Or can I only do this if I import it with an alpha etc.?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
avidpurple
on Sep 11, 2007 at 1:02:35 pm

There are a few steps involved but I do have a way to make it work. Start by creating your matte using animatte. Right click in the composer monitor and select Export Matte PICT. Now import your matte you just exported. Edit the imported matte into the sequence. (Do not invert the alpha on import) Step into your matte key effect and replace your fill track with the video you originally created the matte from. You can now promote the matte effect to 3D and then use scaling to resize the image. Using this technique will allow you to manipulate the matte element without impacting the background layer. Let me know if that doesn't make sense. Good luck.

Return to posts index

brandon balin
on Jan 16, 2008 at 7:16:19 pm

I just experimented with this and got close, there is one limitation which I'll list below with a work around.

First do your cut out with animate, then nest the 3d warp on top and do your animated move you'll notice how everything will shrink or blow-up do to lack of layer separation(which you think they'd add by now.) time it out even if its rough. Save your animatte and 3d warp templates to your bin.

Then make a new sequence, cut in a white title on v1 and a black title to v2 the sequence needs to be timed to the length of your effect.(you can use plain black and white video if you have it, or an imported file.)
next on v2 the black title track nest your animate template, then nest on top the 3d warp template. You now have a matte that follows the size and motion of your effect. Next collapse the tracks and cut it in the videotrack above your effect, nest the matte key on top and your hold out matte is complete.(you don't have to make a separate sequence, but it's easier to stay organized.)

Now for the best part!!!! If you have to change for any reason the shape of the animatte or speed/motion of the 3d warp, do it to your video elements, save the animatte and 3d warp templates, then step in to your matte and replace the old effects with the new ones. Instant update.

When you recreate the sequence for uprez you just recreate title media and you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]