AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Converting NTSC to PAL using Avid - Help!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
toptop1200
Converting NTSC to PAL using Avid - Help!
on Mar 2, 2007 at 9:49:25 am

I have an NTSC project that I need to convert to PAL. Does anybody have any idea how to do this in the Avid, keeping quality as high as possible please?

I tried exporting an uncompressed QuickTime movie from an NTSC project and then importing it into PAL, but the image degradation seems quite severe. I know you need to blow-up NTSC for it to fill the PAL frame (NTSC being 720x486 and PAL being 720x576) but the lower quality in the PAL version is really quite marked.

Any ideas guys? This is quite desperate.

Return to posts index

MichaelP
Re: Converting NTSC to PAL using Avid - Help!
on Mar 2, 2007 at 11:51:11 am

Doing straight export and import does not deal with motion adaptation, scaling and 60 to 50 field conversion in the best way possible. Take a look at using FluidMotion for frame rate conversion:
http://www.24p.com/conversion.htm

Also, type

setresizetype 9

in the console before importing as it uses a polyphase resize rather than bicubic which will yield better results in some cases.

Michael

anything 24fps

Return to posts index

toptop1200
on Mar 2, 2007 at 12:23:41 pm

Wow! Thanks Michael - I'm impressed.

I'm not overly familiar with the Avid console, but I assume I just type in the command and hit return. Any ideas on how to get it back to it's original setting(s) once I've finished with the import please?

Also, is it possible (theoretically) to convert from 23.976p to 25i? Or does the conversion only work to 25p?

Thanks for the first response though. That's really a big help.

Return to posts index

MichaelP
on Mar 2, 2007 at 6:23:58 pm

The chart on the webpage shows hwo to go from 23.976p to 25i as well, although that should work better in the following way:

Export video only of the 23.976p project.
type "ignoreqtrate true' into the console (and yes, just type into the bottom section of the console.
Then import the picture via QT import. The import will end up 4.1% faster just like a film transfer to 25fps but look a lot better. You will need to use the audiosuite function to change the duration of the audio. Export and import that as WAV.

The resize console command is only good for the duration of that session. when you restart Avid, it will be back to bicubic. To reveserse the QT import, type: ignoreqtrate false

Michael

anything 24fps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]