AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

"ghosting" titles

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
parker C
"ghosting" titles
on Dec 14, 2006 at 4:15:10 pm

I'm working on a Media Composer and have BCC effects. I have a an imported title (tif) with an alpha over some video. The client wants the title to "ghost." What I think he means is the title stays solid on the image, but a soft, sort of transparent copy of it quickly floats towards the screen. I've done this before in FCP where I used basically another layer of the title, quickly moved it towards the screen and added motion blur.

I've tried doing this in the Avid, but I dont get great results. I know when editing titles like this, i have to take out the alpha, drop it above the original title, etc. and then effect the alpha. I've tried using the avids motion blur and the BCC blur, but these don't really seem to be doing the job.

Is there a better way to do this? Or should I just keep messing with these effects untill I can get it? Or, can I just say this is probably a job for an AE artist?

Return to posts index

lecherro
Re: "ghosting" titles
on Dec 14, 2006 at 6:30:28 pm

You might want to try just using the same title on the next layer up, not pulling the matte out of the original.Just place the on top of the original text and use opacity and blurr to get the desired efect. I have done this a couple of times as a quick fix, But i also do AE and that is the best place to get the best result.

Return to posts index

parker C
on Dec 14, 2006 at 8:38:03 pm

I tried that, but when i use the effects on the titles themselves, as they are on the timeline, without pulling the alpha out and all that, the effect works on the video behind it as well, and not just on the imported titles. Even when I have the BCC effects, and I hit the Apply to Title Matte button, it does something weird where the alpha channel gets effected, there title dissaperas, adn the entire picture goes dark, as if just the half transparent alpha was on the screen.

Return to posts index

promoboy
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:47:23 am

I assume when you apply the Boris effect you're Alt applying it to nest the matte key on your titles, right? Don't. When you want to apply an effect to a title or anything with a matte key effect just apply it. It will replace the matte key effect, then when you hit the Apply to Title/Matte it will apply it to the actual title and it won't effect the background. It took me quite a while to figure this out, but it should work like that. Let me know if it doesn't and we'll keep working on it.

Mike.

Return to posts index

parker C
on Dec 19, 2006 at 1:19:49 am

Cool, that seems to work, although some effects seem to not like it, I assume it's because they don't lend themselves to titles as well.

Anyway, that was super frustrating, thanks for clearing it up for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]