AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Is there a way to get a burned dvd into avid?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
coolrachel
Is there a way to get a burned dvd into avid?
on Dec 5, 2006 at 1:49:20 am

I have a dvd of a photo montage that I would like to insert into a longer movie I made. Is that possible? Avid said it won't take .vob .bup or .ifo files. Is there a way to convert these to a file that avid will take?

Return to posts index

ribdog
Re: Is there a way to get a burned dvd into avid?
on Dec 5, 2006 at 2:53:34 am

use the capture tool and switch to global.

Return to posts index

bluewingoliver
on Dec 5, 2006 at 1:44:08 pm

A program called FFMPEGX would be able to do it I think. You can convert video files from a DVD (or pretty much anything) to something more avid friendly.

Return to posts index

Fazz Powell
on Dec 6, 2006 at 1:40:44 am

You can just digitize/ingest the DVD from a DVD player as you would a tape source. Obviously component would be best.

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

Return to posts index

coolrachel
on Dec 6, 2006 at 8:37:40 pm

How do you switch it to global?

What is component?

It is not recognizing my dvd drive as a possible place to capture from

Return to posts index

stevem1928
on Dec 7, 2006 at 3:48:14 pm

I am assuming you are referring to a DVD which is burned to play on a TV DVD player (not a data dvd). If you open the DVD file, you will notice that it is not a single file, such as an avi or Quicktime. There are several folders with mupltiple files in each folder. These files can not be simiply dropped into a timeline. You will need to connect a DVD player to your computer (if it has the proper connetions), or use a passthrough device on your digital video camera (if your camera supports it).

OR

You will need to obtain software as listed above to convert the multiple file structures of mpeg2 to a single file source such as avi or Quicktime.

This is not as simple as you might think. I made the mistake a few years ago by creating my DVD's and tossing all of the source footage. I now back up all of my projects back to tape on the video camera. If I need to reuse a part of the video, I just put the tape in the camera and re-capture.

Return to posts index

promoboy
on Dec 7, 2006 at 5:40:23 pm

If you have a Mojo output from a standalone DVD player through the Mojo component if you have the Avid component cables--if you don't, S-video. Failing that, Composite. Turn off deck control in the Avid, hit record, hit play on the DVD player, capture. Done.

If you don't have a Mojo but you have a DVD player with firewire out, capture through the firewire port of your computer. If you don't have a DVD player with firewire out but you have a digital video camera you could try what someone else suggested--line the DVD player into the digital video camera, then firewire out of the camera into your computer. Again, turn off deck control and hope your camera is a decent analogue to digital converter.

There are also .vob converters on the market, as someone else suggested--I haven't used them, but do a Google search and you'll find something.

One thing that has worked for me is to copy the .vob from a DVD to the desktop, change the file extension to .mpeg, then use Sorenson Squeeze to convert the mpeg to a more Avid friendly format.

Mike.

Return to posts index

videowilly
on Dec 10, 2006 at 9:52:41 pm

Try Cinematize 2.0 by Miraizon

I've used it and the footage looks great. A little slow on the conversion process.

http://www.miraizon.com/

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]