AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

how do you make better quality avis in avid xpress or what is better than an avi

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
coolrachel
how do you make better quality avis in avid xpress or what is better than an avi
on Nov 30, 2006 at 8:00:44 pm

so I want to export an avid file to adobe encore so i can burn it to dvd. Is an avi the best quality for that? my avi that i made was really grainy. Encore wont accept quicktime reference files.

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
Re: how do you make better quality avis in avid xpress or what is better than an avi
on Nov 30, 2006 at 8:13:12 pm

You would be better off going from Avid to Sorenson for MPEG2 encoding, or some other encoder, and then taking those encoded files to Encore.

-Alex Alexzander

Return to posts index

coolrachel
Re: how do you make better quality avis in avid xpress or what is better than an avi
on Nov 30, 2006 at 8:32:17 pm

I dont have sorenson. I thought encore was a good encoder. Is there a way to encode it for encore within avid?

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
on Dec 1, 2006 at 12:28:50 pm

What version of Encore are you running? I thought ver 2.0 accepted QT refs...

Jon

"The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess. But He's pretty sure you're F%$#*D!"

Return to posts index

coolrachel
on Dec 3, 2006 at 5:55:14 am

I think encore is actually supposed to take qt files but my version freezes every time I try that version.

Return to posts index

maverick13
on Dec 1, 2006 at 2:02:41 pm

Encore 1.5 will accept ref movies. I'm not sure about Encore 1. What does Encore say when you try to import the movie? Does it grouse about frame rate? I've found the best way to prep ref movs for Encore is to mixdown audio and video to 1 track of video and 2 audio. Include any time at the beginning and end where you need black. Then remove any black or filler from the timeline before you export the movie. If you leave filler on the timeline the framerate won't necessarily be 29.97, and Encore _will_ complain.

Return to posts index

melcox
on Dec 3, 2006 at 2:01:11 am

Here is the workflow that I am using. It is time consuming, but produces very professional results.

01) Open Adobe After Effects
02) Right click inside the Untitled Project.aep window, select Import -> File
03) Select the target Reference Movie, press "Open"
04) File -> Export - > AVI
05) Enter the name and folder under which the .avi should be saved, press "Save"
06) Within the AVI Sett

Video:

Compression: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Quality: Best
Frame Rate: 29.97
Scan Mode: Interlaced
Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Audio:

Format: Uncompressed
Sample Rate: 48 KHz
Sample Size: 16
Channels: 2

07) Press "OK"

The resulting .avi file will IMHO be far superior in quality to that output from within Xpress Pro HD.

Note: Keep in mind the dreaded file size limits (see: http://neuron2.net/LVG/filesize.html)of the .avi format. You may need to utilize segmented .avi's for long segments.

Hope this helps!!!

Return to posts index

melcox
on Dec 5, 2006 at 10:37:02 am

Since your objective is to burn a DVD, you may wish to utilize TMPGEnc (http://www.tmpgenc.net) - aka the Tsunami Encoder.

A QuickTime plug-in for TMPGEnc (QTReader.vfp) is available online see:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4942/svcd.html

The plug-in will facilitate input of the QuickTime Reference files output by Avid Xpress.

There is no need to spend the time and resources required to generate an .avi

Notes:

The QuickTime reader must be installed on your machine.

Output QuickTime Reference audio in the WAVE (not AIFF-C) format. You MUST manually specify the resulting .wav file as the audio source within TMPGEnc.

I hope that this addresses your issue...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]