AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

New System! PC....or Apple? Which is better?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Jacobs
New System! PC....or Apple? Which is better?
on Mar 3, 2006 at 9:13:32 pm

So I'm going to be upgrading my system soon with about a 3500 price range for the tower itself. So im thinking of either an hp 8200 workstation, or a quad g5. Both are around the same price. Any prefrences? I have a mac laptop, and have a pc desktop now, I don't mind either, I'm talking purly speed. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jon

Return to posts index

oakmozart
Re: New System! PC....or Apple? Which is better?
on Mar 4, 2006 at 1:32:46 am

Why would you waste your money on a G5-based system, with the new Intel-based Mac's coming out? In less than 6 months, your G5 will be a worthless piece of crap.

Avid's run best on PC. There's no way to purchase Mac XPro software at this time, but that's coming this summer. If you want to cut HD now, buy a PC.

The question of which is better, Mac or PC is a subjective one. Mac cultists swear by Crapple computers (can you tell I'm a PC guy?), whereas PC cultists swear by PC. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Quite frankly, if you base your decision based off of what you're going to hear on these forums, you're running on a dangerous path. Find a place that sells both Mac's and PC's (easy to find) and demo each one. Better yet, find an Avid reseller to let you see the differences of Avid software on Mac or PC...THEN DECIDE based off of what you have SEEN, not been told.

For what it's worth, I love PC's. I think Apple has crippled the Mac line software-wise so much that it's a dead-end. With this summer's new Intel-based Mac's (MacTel's), that could totally become a different story.

I strongly suggest holding off on your computer purchase until this summer, evaluate the PC's and Mac's, then make a decision. By then, the new Mac-versions of Avid HD software will be available and you'll have a better idea of what to get, since you'll be able to test drive the software on both platforms.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

editguy
on Mar 4, 2006 at 2:49:13 am

My 2 cents, buy a G5 Quad, great system works really well wiht FCP Studio and comparing to the expandabilities of AXP, you are going to be happier with FCP, plus you can also run AXP, and at least you can work on both softwares, and get bussiness from both as well. Macintel... is not as easy as people think, come this june, it does not mean every software will be running mactels, the transition will be longer...why be a beta tester...Quad are meant for huge cpu instensive programs like FCP, again, they work well together.

Keep finding out on threads like these, and get a good feel from people who work on both platforms.
Good luck,

R

Return to posts index

ADRIFTER
on Mar 4, 2006 at 5:07:07 am

well if you want pure speed, go with amd fx-60 dual core, and ati x1900 crossfire or nvidia quadra 5400... if that somehow fits into the 3500 price range..

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Mar 4, 2006 at 5:28:08 am

I

Return to posts index

spendas
Need council before making purchase
on Mar 6, 2006 at 12:45:58 am

I'm a serious amateur - not a professional. I've been using the Matrox RTX100 with Premiere Pro 1.5. It's worked well except for frequent system lock ups.

I'm considering upgrading to either the new Adobe Creative Suite with Premiere Pro 2.0 or switching to Avid Liquid Pro. The limited review at this point have not helped since they are mostly generated by persons involved with one company or the other and reflect that bias - very little real comparison.

If someone could answer two questions for me, it would be extremely helpful in making my decision:

1. If I go with the Adobe suite (Premiere Pro 2.0), what do I give up by no opting for the Avid Liqud Pro system?

2. If I go with the Avid Liqud Pro, what do I give up by no opting for the Adobe suite with Premiere Pro 2.0 system?

One final related question - If opt to get the Avid Liquid Pro system, can I run it on the same system with my Premiere 1.5?

Thanks in advance for any answers and suggestions anyone knowledgeable of the two systems might be able to share before I make my purchase.

Return to posts index

oakmozart
Re: Need council before making purchase
on Mar 7, 2006 at 3:25:31 pm

Don't hijack threads. Start a new one. It looks better for you and usually will get you more help than burying your new question inside an existing thread.

Return to posts index

Valerie Shoaps
Yep, that's what I did
on Mar 6, 2006 at 6:38:00 pm

It was either go for a Quad now, or wait at least a year until the MacIntels have had some time to smooth things out. I wanted the crunching power, and it has it plus the flexibility to run both FCP and Avid.

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
Re: Yep, that's what I did
on Mar 6, 2006 at 6:40:05 pm

Sounds like he wants to run Liquid Edition, which is not a Mac application. It's PC only. If he actually wants to run Avid Xpress Pro, then I am not sure the nw Quad is certified for Xpress Pro. The nornal Dual is for sure.

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
on Mar 6, 2006 at 8:20:56 pm

Certification Schmertification...
You're probably still running Avid SCSI drives...
F

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Mar 6, 2006 at 8:23:00 pm

I use a SATA array I built myself.

-Alex

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
on Mar 7, 2006 at 4:28:38 am

Good call. Just watch out for Raid 0 - I once lost 800GB... Newer cards can do raid 5 at quite usable speeds.
F

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Mar 7, 2006 at 4:30:56 am

Thank you. I happen to be a former SAN engineer, and member of the RAID advisor board, guest guru at the storage tech conferences several years running. I think I have it covered. But thanks for the tip.

-Alex

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
on Mar 8, 2006 at 1:51:15 pm

Oops... Never really know who you're dealing with out here...

Respect.
F

Regards
Francois

Return to posts index

Valerie Shoaps
on Mar 7, 2006 at 10:54:38 pm

I thought it was a toss up between the Apple apps and Xpress Pro. The Quad isn't officially qualified, but I've heard from people running on it. I keep my Avid on my PC system and the Mac for FCP/pro apps. Tight little world. However, I'm posting this on Safari ;)

Return to posts index

David Willis
on Mar 9, 2006 at 11:28:14 am

Jon,

I use both types of computers, too, and here is my suggestion:

Buy a Mac now or if you can wait a few months, I'd would wait and by one of the new Apple systems with Intel chips.

Both systems are speedy, and there isn't going to be a huge difference there.

But here's the reasons why I would get a Mac:

1. Adaptability. You can run both Avid and Final Cut Pro on your Mac. You may want to do some projects that come to you via FCP, and this way you can do both. Or you may have clients that want to use FCP.

2. Avid is a fine system, but FCP will eventually overtake it for one simple reason: when you get FCP, you buy one program and you get everything. YOu don't have to choose among 6 different versions! Whether you're going to edit film, HD, MiniDV, whatever - FCP is the same interface and exact same software. You never have to pay more just to work on a different kind of project. Also, Macs can use out-of-the-box hardware a lot better.

Now, I could be wrong here, but that's the trend now. The momentum is with FCP. And if you get an Apple, then you're covered. You can use Avid and then switch FCP if that's the way things go. But if you get a PC, you're stuck with Avid for a few years.

I personally don't like being stuck...

Also, FCP comes with Motion, LiveType, etc. And FCP usually requires much less rendering when you're working with it, so it's a little faster (this is TOTALLY dependent on the kind of prgoram you're cutting, though).

Return to posts index

editguy
on Mar 10, 2006 at 1:50:44 am

and don't forget Automatic Duck, you are really more flexible and not stuck with expensive hardware.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]