AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Which is the best AVID product for Promotions/Longform editing?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. Bourke
Which is the best AVID product for Promotions/Longform editing?
on Jan 12, 2006 at 10:48:38 pm

We're about to make the break from Discreet Logic Edit boxes (which are still running, by the way, almost seven years after their purchase) and move into the AVID world, because our corporate owners have standardized on that platform.

There are so many AVID products, that it's become difficult to match one to our needs/budgets, so I'm asking for some guidelines so that we end up with boxes that will do the job.

One of the NLEs will be doing a heavy workload of :15s and :30s, plus cranking out radio spots based on the TV spots. The spots will be multi-layered, with multiple layers of graphics keyed over video (hopefully without going out to AE), plus motion graphic overlays from our Graphics Department.

The second seat would be doing a daily 30 minute show that will be mostly cuts and dissolves, but would have the need to do motion graphics keyed over the video for bumps, lower thirds, etc.. We had been doing the show on an old Media Composer, and it was impossible to do the production values we'd hoped for.

The third seat would be doing short-form commercial production, with multi-layered graphics/video, some of which would come from AE, Photoshop, etc.. This box would have multiple users, and be pushed to the limit for speed.

We're being pushed toward Newscutter Adrenalines to do ALL the jobs, but I'm not convinced that this box has the necessary multi-stream capability to view what we're doing in real-time, or the horsepower for long-form stuff. Thanks for your help.

Joe Bourke

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Which is the best AVID product for Promotions/Longform editing?
on Jan 13, 2006 at 12:15:57 am

In the real world (private company post production), AVID only offers one product for this application - the AVID Adrenaline. In the real world (not TV stations, where AVID makes all their money) - the only products AVID sells are AVID Xpress Pro, AVID Adrenaline, and AVID Nitris (and most recently AVID Symphony Nitris). There are not countless products that AVID makes that applies to the professional post production world. I don't count broadcast TV as the real world, even though this is where the real money is, and where Newscutters shine.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

sdragon
on Jan 13, 2006 at 2:50:38 am

We use Adreneline to cut our 15's, 10's and 30's in our promotions dept. excellent for fast paceed enviorment. go with that.

Return to posts index

Wayne V.
on Jan 13, 2006 at 3:45:23 pm

Make an appointment at your local dealer and get a thorough demo of the Adrenaline, preferrable hands-on if you can. It's a solid machine and can handle all of what you are looking to do. Also, make sure all the computers you get are maxed out with ram, best video card and storage. It'll make render times easier to deal with.
Wayne V.

Return to posts index

rljohnson
on Jan 13, 2006 at 11:33:03 pm

Hey Joe,

We are looking to replace our Discreet's also. The Adrenaline would be a good machine for promos. We are using AvidXPress Pro HD to cut the daily topicals it's okay and seems to do well however it does have it's limitations when it comes to uncompressed streams of video. I am pushing for the Symphony NITRIS for all the things I do when it comes to the high end model of Station Image. Don't know what is going to happen. Avid had some demos in town in the fall and was pushing the HD on all, however the catch on Real-Time HD on Adrenaline isn't actually real-time it drops the resolution quality and you must render to get full HD quality but it was impressive except for the "Real Time" language. Symphony rocked combined with Nitris power the only catch there was we were told they had secondary Color Correction but it wasn't actually working they could just show us the interface at that time. I am assuming it now works with the official release. Good Luck on your search. Give me a call and we can talk.

Rodney J.

Return to posts index

Michael W. Towe
on Jan 17, 2006 at 4:57:17 am

Hey Joe,

I would think that Adrenaline would be the box for you. It can do all of what you are asking and in a timely manner. As for not having to go to AE for things.... I am finding that with the addition of Boris Continuum Compleat (which is bundled with it) I am going to AE a lot less than I used to. However if the compositing gets a bit to crazy I still go there or to Combustion. Mostly because I am just more comfortable in those apps for heavy compositing.

Good luck Mate,

Mike

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]