AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

NewsCutter won't digitize DVCPro material?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Furrie
NewsCutter won't digitize DVCPro material?
on Dec 8, 2005 at 5:14:28 pm

All of our decks here are Sony DVCam, but once in a while we get Panasonic DVCPro tapes in house. Put the Pro tapes in a DVCam deck, and you get video and audio from the deck -- if we just hook it up to a monitor. However, we don't get any audio or video when we attempt to bring in Pro content via Firewire. We can control the deck and see changing timecode in the Avid, but that's it. If we try to start recording, it will record black for several seconds, and then pop up an error telling us the the audio and video stopped coming in unexpectedly.

We'd rather capture this properly through Firewire, and not resort to a global capture through SDI. We've had the same experience on more than one of our editors with more than one DVCam deck with more than one source tape.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Pat Furrie
WESH-TV, Orlando

Return to posts index

Wayne V.
Re: NewsCutter won't digitize DVCPro material?
on Dec 9, 2005 at 8:46:41 pm

This might sound funny, but did you try hooking up the analog component outputs and analog audio outputs to the Adrenaline? Something tells me the firewire between formats doesn't work. Simplest solution.
Wayne V.

Return to posts index

Pat Furrie
on Dec 12, 2005 at 3:23:17 pm

[Wayne V.] "This might sound funny, but did you try hooking up the analog component outputs and analog audio outputs to the Adrenaline? Something tells me the firewire between formats doesn't work. Simplest solution.
Wayne V."

Wayne,

Yeah, I thought about that, but then thought "Hey, maybe there is something like a setting on the deck or Avid that would allow this." If so, it would be the actual simplest solution. But I can't find any authoritative information regarding firewire access in this configuration. I really don't want to set up all my editors with additional analog cabling for something that seems like it should work with firewire, which is both less comlpicated and keeps the signal digital.

Pat

Return to posts index

Wayne V.
on Dec 13, 2005 at 5:32:06 pm

Normally I would agree, but I believe the difference in the codecs between the 2 formats is the culprit here. I don't think the Sony deck will process the DVCPro material over the firewire port. You might not have a choice about the additional cabeling. Also, you do gain the TBC controls on the analog input - might save you some color correcting as you go. Lastly, if this is the only piece of analog gear, hardwire it in so all they have to do is change the input in the capture settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]