AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

seem to have lost my zippiness...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne V.
seem to have lost my zippiness...
on Nov 14, 2005 at 8:15:59 pm

Just updated (no so sure this was an up grade) to Adrenaline 2.1.6 from 1.5.1. The system used to zip right through basic renders (an animated lower third bar with static text on top). I'd do this about 5 times in a 5 minute video. It would take about a minute to render. Now it is taking (it's still going as I write this) upwards of 10 minutes. Nothing else has changed.

HP xw8000, dual 2.8 Xean, 2 GB ram, pleanty of available drive space...

Any ideas? or did I make a mistake with this update? Is there a setting that I need to change? somebody has to know some well kept Avid secret...

This has the potential to cost me HOURS in production time on a weekly basis.
Wayne V.

Return to posts index

chris magid
Re: seem to have lost my zippiness...
on Nov 15, 2005 at 4:02:32 pm

Just a few notes...in no particular order.

1) Make sure you are running the latest AVID APPROVED drivers for your Nvidia card. They came with the application or can be downloaded. Version 67.22 is a safe one to use.

2) If you are using a 980XGL you can expect degraded performance. This is the original Adrenaline Nvidia card. Release notes state it is not really up to task for newer releases. You may get some boost by updating your OpenGl card to the 1100. Anything newer would require a switch in CPU.

3) Switch CPUs. Upgrade to a HPxw8200. This has the newer PCI Express graphics slot which will allow for the latest approved video card...the Quadro FX 1400.00 We were experiencing the same issue of slowness after moving to the 2.x releases. This is what fixed it for us. BIG DIFFERENCE.

4) 2.1.6 is a buggy release and that may affect performance. The latest is 2.1.8. So far, so good. I would move to this release. STAY AWAY for 2.1.7.

5) Make sure you have done all the little things to optimize your system. The Avid manuals list things you should do to WindowsXP to make it more Avid friendly.

That should get you started. If you can do #3, DO IT. You will not be sorry. Deals can be found on refurbed CPUS.

chris magid
rtvf

Return to posts index

andy garcia
on Nov 15, 2005 at 4:15:01 pm

also check your render settings are on standard quailty.

'If the records nice, then play it twice'.

Return to posts index

Wayne V.
on Nov 15, 2005 at 8:25:18 pm

Both gentlemen - Thanks for the insight. I'll look into the video card driver - that should help. Unfortunately, when I asked my $ people to budget for a new computer for me going into 2005 - they didn't. I'm stuck with this machine and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a new one in 06.
Wayne V.

Return to posts index

Wayne V.
on Nov 17, 2005 at 4:44:42 am

I updated the video card driver - after almost an hour of updating, rebooting, fine tuning, re-fine tuning, rebooting, turning off processes, rebooting, and on and on... the render speed seems to be back to normal. The one issue I now have is a slight lag in timeline playback from when I hit play.

Fortunately for me, though, my IS guys set up simple file sharing on a few of the computers in my office - including the Adrenaline. They created a new user in place of Administrator, so every setting in every piece of software needed to be rebuilt. I had such a great time trying to get work done. Can't wait for the fun to continue in the morning.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

Return to posts index

Timothy Allen
on Nov 19, 2005 at 3:21:15 am

Do you have a lot of bins open when you are playing the sequence? If you have a bin with a lot of sequences in it open, it might be taxing the system beacuse it's still making sure it's ready to find and play all the elements from those sequences too. One trick that could help... Copy the sequence you are working with into a bin and close the bins that have the other sequences in them.

There could be other reasons the Avid is taking a while to buffer the media elements in the sequence you are playing... but the time it takes to build that buffer is probably the culprit.

-TJA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]