AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid Editor Salary

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dvguy
Avid Editor Salary
on Apr 1, 2005 at 4:25:37 am

What would be a fair salary for a full time Avid Editing position for a cable network?

Return to posts index

Tae
Re: Avid Editor Salary
by
on Apr 1, 2005 at 4:50:03 am

Depends on how good you are.

-T

Return to posts index

Haze
by
on Apr 1, 2005 at 1:07:58 pm

...and what market you're in.

Return to posts index

dvguy
on Apr 1, 2005 at 2:05:44 pm

5 years of experience in Nashville, TN

Return to posts index

Haze
by
on Apr 1, 2005 at 4:37:53 pm

No one can give you an accurate number. There are far too many variables: quality of your reel, type of industry (gov't, advertising, corporate) and basic suppli & demad (how many Avid editors are in your market).

The other thing is that the term 'Avid Editor' is a fairly broad description. What flavor Avid? Symphony, Nitris, Composer, XDV or FreeDV.

I would hit some web sites for an indicator of what the market will pay for your skill set.
mandy
productionhub
craigslist
entertainmentjobs?
etc.

Return to posts index

mark anderson
on Apr 1, 2005 at 10:16:29 pm

that's the problem, none of those lists or want ads ever list salaries, or salary ranges. they ask you to provide a range more often then not. no one can give the guy even a clue. yes, there are ranges, but let's get some specifics.

me--from cincinnati to chicago, over 15yrs television experience currently union editor salary range with overtime 57-62,000. i know a guy in dayton ohio just starting out with a cable system who was offered 28,000.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2005 at 10:37:14 pm

I am a Union editor in Los Angeles, and the Union base scale here is $2365.00 per week, with lower scale for smaller budget productions (they go as low as $1585.00). I have worked on productions both union and non-union that ranged from $1500 (low on the totem pole cable networks) to $3000 (network reality TV, Union Narrative TV) per week.

But, I am in Los Angeles and this is THE market...plus costs out here are high.

What you need to do is fine out what the median is for your area.

Oh...and the edit system has NOTHING TO DO with your rate. They are hiring you for your editing ability, not for your skill with an edit system.

Return to posts index

Haze
by
on Apr 2, 2005 at 12:08:41 am

"Oh...and the edit system has NOTHING TO DO with your rate. They are hiring you for your editing ability, not for your skill with an edit system."

This has some truth. From a freelance perspective it's absolutely true, but in regards to a staff position it doesn't have legs. Most employers don't want to take the risk or spend money training someone. They need someone that can jump right in and start cutting. If you've nvever cut on a DS/Nitris then you're not even considered for the job. So even if you can out cut Murch using XDV it doesn't matter - there's no offer on the table. It doesn't happen. I've never seen a job post that said, "Avid DS editor needed - no experience necessary".

Return to posts index

MPE
by
on Apr 2, 2005 at 2:12:16 am

Actually it is probably worse for freelance in my experience. When you are hired for 8 or 12 weeks that is what you are hired and budgeted for. There is week for refresher or training. At least with permanent staff, if you are replacing another person they may take you in because of your reel and as a junior editor until you get your legs unnder you.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Apr 2, 2005 at 3:56:50 pm

[Haze] " Most employers don't want to take the risk or spend money training someone. They need someone that can jump right in and start cutting."

Not necessarily true!

When we threw out our Avids and switched to a Final Cut Pro system networked with X-SAN, we took the time and spent the money to train 45 former Avid editors on our new FCP systems. This wasn't cheap, but it's a confirmation of the concept that we hire "editors", not button pushers. In "The Real World", it's always about story. I've NEVER received a call from a viewer who said, "That's a great show... what kind of NLE did you use?"

This most significant factor in salary is the budget of the project you're working on. The higher the budget, the better the rate.

Mark

Return to posts index

MPE
by
on Apr 2, 2005 at 5:50:06 pm

Mark will all due respect you work for THE most successful reality TV production company. You can afford to do what you did. Don't you have Media Composers on a Unity [or is that Unities?] for Survivor, Contender and Apprentice?

I seriously doubt that rest of the industry can do or willing to do what you did- at least in my experience.

Return to posts index

mark Raudonis
on Apr 3, 2005 at 4:10:53 am

Mr MPE,

You've got me mixed up with that other guy named Mark...as in Burnett.

I work for Bunim-Murray productions. We're the folks that bring you MTV's "The Real World", "Road Rules, "The Simple Life" for FOX, "Starting Over for NBC", and much more.

The original question was, "How much do editors make on a cable show?" I would agree with most of the responses: it depends! On experience. On market. On budget. The quotes regarding union scale are a good reference point, but I've seen rates way higher and way lower. You really can't make a general statement. Every year Videography magazine publishes a "salary survey" culled from a large data base. Look up their last one published and you may get a general idea. Also, the "Cow" and many other boards have job postings that occasionally will list a salary.

hope this helps.

Mark

Return to posts index

MPE
by
on Apr 3, 2005 at 5:38:15 am

[mark Raudonis] "I work for Bunim-Murray productions. We're the folks that bring you MTV's "The Real World", "Road Rules, "The Simple Life" for FOX, "Starting Over for NBC", and much more. "

My fault.

Nevertheless, your company is probably in a rare situation to be able to do what you did.

I don't disagree on the factors that determines salary/wage I just think training is not as common as I would like to believe.

Return to posts index

dvguy
on Apr 2, 2005 at 2:09:32 pm

I am doing some freelance work for the company at a rate of $45 and hour editing on a Symphony and some After Effects work. Does that help?

Return to posts index

Paul Peltekian
on Apr 2, 2005 at 7:48:55 pm

that all depends on the market you're in. a symphony editor in Los Angeles can probably pull in around $65-$75/hr. But that too depends on who and for what he is working on. $45 ain't bad. But you could be demanding more, depending on experience.

-p

Return to posts index

grinner
on Apr 2, 2005 at 11:50:40 pm

Return to posts index

Chaz Shukat
on Apr 4, 2005 at 12:24:49 am

If you are in Knoxville, you are probably working for Scripps. They pay pretty poorly, not high budget stuff. All considered, your location, experience and type of equipment you are using, you are doing pretty good.

Return to posts index

hoovdaddy
on Apr 11, 2005 at 7:55:51 pm

Freelance rates in Charlotte, NC: $350-425
Staff: $40-50k

Return to posts index

Greg Ekborg
on Apr 12, 2005 at 11:03:18 pm

Yeah thats about average here for CBS and FOX....51k a year for Avid Editor and After Effects guru. Plus I would say as well, that it depends on how much you bring to the table as well. If a small part of the edit needs to be tweaked out of AVID on another system with AE or PS on it, and you can do that, then your value is higher, than them having to bring in a freelancer for a small aspect of the project.

Greg
Creative Director
http://www.deCONSTRUCTstudios.com
e. cd@deCONSTRUCTstudios.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ekborg
on Apr 12, 2005 at 11:04:04 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention the area is Vegas...

Greg
Creative Director
http://www.deCONSTRUCTstudios.com
e. cd@deCONSTRUCTstudios.com

Return to posts index

Jhones
on May 27, 2007 at 6:04:10 pm

From Israel.. not sure i can help but here is around 300-350$ for 10h' all r freelance. by monthe its around 3-4k. but u can still see those strange prices up and down

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Dec 29, 2009 at 11:08:55 pm

anywhere from 30k to 130k/yr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]