FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAB Is It Worth Going

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Sieff
NAB Is It Worth Going
on Apr 1, 2014 at 11:15:51 am

Some people ask me if I go to NAB and every year I tell them no,it's a waste of money if you have to pay for it yourself.I keep up with industry trends by reading allot of forums like the Cow and asking others in he industry what they like and use .I also attend a local conference here in Colorado and usually go spend an hour there not getting much knowledge,but it's free.This year I thought about going just to get away for a couple of days and then I thought,why waste my money having to fight crowds and pay expenses so others can try sell me stuff.The internet provides great resources on new equipment etc.I would go if I worked for a company,that a no Brainer. I want to find out if any of you independent business owners or freelancers think it's worth going and if so what are you gaining by going.

Victor
VS Video Productions -Denver,Co

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: NAB Is It Worth Going
on Apr 1, 2014 at 12:27:01 pm

Victor,
I am one of those who attends each year at their own expense (tax deductible of course). First I am a geek and so very much enjoy seeing the new stuff. What I get real value from is viewing multiple vendors and getting a sense of where the industry is going. This helps us in our long range planning of equipment and systems purchases. Is it worth the expenditure? I enjoy it enough to justify it.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Jim
M&M ProductionsUSA

Jim Brown
M & M Productions USA
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index

Victor Sieff
on Apr 1, 2014 at 12:33:42 pm

Thanks Jim for your insight.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 1, 2014 at 2:54:43 pm

I have heard this type of response for years. People would say "I have a sony Beta package, and no one is asking me to shoot hi def, so why would I waste my time going to see the new hi def cameras, if no one is even interested in any of this ?". Or I see editorial houses that said "we use AVID, we don't need to ever buy anything ever again". And of course, the similar "we use FCP 7, why would I need to look at anything else".

If you make your living doing this stuff, and have to compete against other people that do the same thing you do, and go after that work, you should know about the new stuff. When standard def was everywhere, and HD was just a dream for "the future", the first guys that bought into HD were the ones that kept the clients. Same goes for 4K. Everyone I know says "we have ZERO clients that are asking for 4K delivery".
But those people that shoot in 4K will be the ones that keep the clients. Those editors using Adobe CC,
FCP X, and MC 7 are the ones that will survive, not the guys with "the old stuff" that feel that they can do everything they need with what they already own.

I normal rant to almost everyone on Creative Cow, is that this is the technology business, and if you are not willing to constantly invest in new technology, to keep your company current, you will soon be out of business. The days of buying the Arri film camera once in your life, and using that for your entire career, well those days are long gone. It's a constant new investment, constant new learning, constant pain in the butt experiences of the new stuff, and these new "damn kids" who bought these cheap 4K cameras (or any new technology that you don't own), and now they are "giving it away" and their stuff looks better than yours, even though you are a much better "XYZ" than they are - well, that's the game.
That's what happened with linear editing, and the million dollar linear edit suites, and the "punk kid" that bought an AVID to compete. He put them out of business. And so the cycle went on.

I know one thing - if I don't know the latest "whatever it is" for my business, I will be out of business soon. And I have felt this way for decades now. My intimate knowlege of old Grass Valley switchers, and Sony VTR's means ABSOLULETELY NOTHING, other than to get together with some old timers to say "remember when ..........."

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:19:13 pm

I can't recommend it highly enough. Been going for over 10 years now and it's literally changed my professional and personal life. If you're not going because of expenses, you should work toward setting aside enough to go next year. If I relied on my work to send me I'd still be waiting....

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:15:56 pm

And it takes about 3 years of attending to get into the "groove" of NAB. But talk to everyone, don't be shy and attend the evening events....some great "beyond the show floor" stuff going on.

I can't wait to go this year.

Plus, Vegas has a brand new Giant Ferris Wheel!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:37:22 pm

I love NAB - I too am a total tech geek and there's no other show like NAB where literally every phase of our business from prep to transmitting is there. If you just show up for the tradeshow plan on at least 2 days. Monday and Tues. are packed - Wed better and still lots of seminars etc in the various booths. Thurs great day with thin crowds but the floor closes at 2 so be quick! Wed/Thurs also cheaper at many of the hotels.

Free Bonus... NAB is in Vegas!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Apr 3, 2014 at 3:03:22 am
Last Edited By Ralph Hajik on Apr 3, 2014 at 3:08:30 am

Hi Victor,

Everyone that has replied to your question has hit it right on. Where can you get professionals from around the world under one roof?
Answer is NAB.
Where can you find all the newest tech gadgets, great knowledge and able to ask questions for the professionals to answer?
Answer is NAB
Nab is what you make of it, network yourself and your business.
NAB is great for me as the other responders to your question have answered, plus I come to Vegas to see family when I get a chance.

You have to come to NAB at least one time to experience the thrill and excitement of being there. Being a photojournalist I do a lot of traveling around the world and my friends ask me, Why are you going to this country or that country? My response is because I like to keep an open mine and experience the life, the culture of others and just being somewhere I have not been.

To Victor and other readers out there, just try it one time and get the experience. All you have to do is pay for your hotel, food and get your free "exhibits pass only" code here at NAB Expo forum to enter and save yourself $150. The code is "MP10".

I Hope to see you there my friend.

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]