ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Zexwerks PA Animator sluggish at best

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Bird
Zexwerks PA Animator sluggish at best
on Jun 8, 2015 at 1:50:27 pm

I'm trying the demo of proAnimator and following tutorial 65, animating lights and text.

My first impression is how quickly the interface becomes non-responsive.

Adding 3d text, a ground plane and 3 set of three follow spots are simple enough, but by the time 2 ring arrays of 10 lamps each is added, the lag between input and response is noticable.
Worse is when it seems to sample a mouse-drag as a series of imputs, then the user has to sit as it processes through a list of wrong numbers.

The way the interface loads - white boxes appear, then various bit of the program load, bit by bit, like a Cheshire Cat, made me suspect my Video Drivers, but I tried the latest and the last-but one stable drivers with no luck.

Any advice people? Is there a setting I need to turn down, or a tweak to the GPU to make this into a smooth stable program?

Details below

Nvidia Quadro K5200
Wacom Intuos
Intel i7 running Windows 7 SP1
RAM 64 Gigs DDR4

Hosted on AE CC 2014
Also tested on AE CS6 (same result)
I understand ProAnimator has been a 'go to' program for years - surely it must be more user friendly than this?

Return to posts index

Alex Dow
Re: Zexwerks PA Animator sluggish at best
on Jul 8, 2015 at 10:07:09 pm

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear that ProAnimator is working sluggish for you. Do remember that every time you have a 20+ lights with fixtures turned on, it is creating a lot of geometry which could be the reason of slow down. However with that said, try these steps to improve speed:

- Go to About > Preferences and turn off the checkbox that says "Show Tool Tips"

- Another thing you need to make sure is that in AE go to Preferences > Memory and make sure that "RAM reserved for other applications is at least 25%-50% of your computers possible RAM.

Make sure you are running the most current version of 3D ProAnimator v8.6.0

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Alex Dow
Zaxwerks

Return to posts index

Ray Shard
on Sep 24, 2015 at 1:07:08 pm

I have PA8 standalone and as much as I like what it is capable of I find it frustrating that it regularly goes into 'not responding' mode and often I have to ctrl/alt/del to get out of it. Because of this I have learnt to save after almost every change I make. If the animation is very simple, no problem, but get more than say 3 tracks and the risk is there to lose your work. Another problem is that you can duplicate a track once ok but when you duplicate a second or third time it often is not a true duplication giving strange results. I also find having the output set to ray trace (even at fast) will cause it the program to go into permanent no respond for unexpected reasons.
I have Windows 7 & a four core processor. We know the minimum system requirements but it would help to know suggested requirements for a less slow and troublesome operation.

Return to posts index

Alex Dow
on Sep 24, 2015 at 7:22:05 pm

Hi Ray,

You say you are running v8 so the first thing we need to make sure is that you are using the most current version: 8.6. If not, you need to update. We put in a huge amount of work making the program run a whole lot faster and more stable since v8, and the best part is the update from v8 or v8.5 to v8.6 is FREE!

It is possible that this is Video Card related, but lets take this one step at a time.

Let me know if this fixes your problems.

Cheers,
Alex Dow
Tech Support | Zaxwerks Inc.
alex (at) zaxwerks.com

Return to posts index

Ray Shard
on Sep 25, 2015 at 3:46:49 pm
Last Edited By Ray Shard on Sep 25, 2015 at 3:47:52 pm

Hi Alex,
I am on version 8.6 already and problems remain.

Video card AMD Radeon HD6450
AMD Phenom(tm)II x4 850 Processor 3.30 GHz

Any advice grateful as I am I can't utilise the program to anywhere near it's full potential.

Thanks for your time
Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]