ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

lighting behind an object

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert McGowan
lighting behind an object
on Mar 31, 2015 at 10:11:56 am

please see my animation, you will notice that the light disappears altogether behind the objects - is there anyway to show some flare/brightness etc when behind an object ?

Freelance Cameraman and Editor based in London
see: http://www.camera-operator-london.co.uk

Return to posts index

Alex Dow
Re: lighting behind an object
on Apr 2, 2015 at 12:24:50 am

Hi Robert,

Yes you can make the flares stay visible by selecting the flare pose and in the "Animation Controls" panel uncheck "Disappears Behind Objects".

Sincerely,
Alex Dow
Customer Service | Zaxwerks Inc.

Return to posts index

Brent Willett
on Apr 2, 2015 at 3:14:02 am

Hi Robert.

Alex is right. But unchecking the "Disappears Behind Objects" makes the flares render in front of the objects. This is useful in some cases, but I'm guessing that's not what you're looking for.

You can use a cone to get kind of the look you're asking about. What I might recommend doing is to duplicate your light. Keep the first one exactly the way you have it, but on the second on, turn off "Casts Light" in the Object Controls window. This will keep the light from making your scene too bright, but you can still turn on a cone and the cone will be visible. So, turn on a cone and adjust the Spot Angle to be pretty wide, and also set the Brightness up pretty high. This will give you a pretty nice glow behind your objects. It's not a perfect solution in all cases. But it works pretty well a lot of the time.

I'm with you, though. I wish there was another check box to have flares stay visible behind objects. That way you could get the cool bursts and rays from the flares shining out from behind your objects.

Brent

Return to posts index

Robert McGowan
on Apr 2, 2015 at 8:58:48 pm

Hi brent and Alex, many thanks for the input -
Brent I tries your suggested work around, however, maybe I'm missing something, adding a duplicated track does not seem to effect the scene when the light is completely obscured by an object.
I did try several options in the lighting setup but to no avail. Maybe again i'm doing something wrong
Yes, your right this should definitely be built into the next version as it would give that additional realism effect.

Freelance Cameraman and Editor based in London
see: http://www.camera-operator-london.co.uk

Return to posts index

Brent Willett
on Apr 2, 2015 at 9:21:09 pm

Hi Robert.

Here is a link to a super simple setup of what I was talking about. The flare still goes away behind the text, but there is still a glow from the light cone. And you can play around with different cone materials or the cone length or the spot angle to get different looks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6085437/Light%20Glow%20Sample.zip

Brent

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]