ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

3D Flag v3 and Expressions

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Preisner3D Flag v3 and Expressions
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:47:55 pm

I am using expressions to link the Pole Position to a null object. The expressions work but for some reason the flag Pole doesn't update when I move the null object around. The light red position numbers update, but the pole doesn't actually move. Entering the 3D Flag options and them returning or toggling the Simulation tick box causes the Pole to suddenly snap to the null object.

What can I do to make the Pole following what the expressions say? That is, how can I get the Pole to follow the null object seamlessly?

*I am using After Effects CS5.5

Return to posts index

Edward WuRe: 3D Flag v3 and Expressions
by on Jun 6, 2013 at 9:36:48 pm

Hi David,

Once you make changes to the Null Object, be sure to click on the "Update Tracking" button. This is located in the Transform > Attach To Layer section. Once you click on the "Update Tracking" button, the flag pole should follow the null object correctly.

Also, just to let you know, we've recently released 3D Flag version 3.0.2. Please visit our web site to download the update if you haven't done so already.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

David PreisnerRe: 3D Flag v3 and Expressions
by on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:19:30 pm

Thank you Edward. Your brilliant tips gave me a better understanding of 3D Flag and is making me a more powerful user.

It looks like I will not be able to have the tracking happen dynamically. That should be fine unless I have my null object attached to a moving object. I wouldn't be able to easily click the "update tracking" for every frame. For example, if I have a spinning globe and my null object is attached to a point on that globe, I am not sure that clicking the "update tracking" is going to help me there.

Again, thank you for the response. I value any additional thoughts on this process, but a response to this thread is not necessary.

(thanks for the tip on the 3.0.2 update. I do have it installed)

Return to posts index

by on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:02:38 pm

Hi David,

Once you click on "Update Tracking" it should change the animation so that it tracks the rotations of the spinning globe. I tried creating an Expression where it rotates randomly and the Flag seems to follow the random rotations without any problems. Are you running into issues where the Flag is not following the Null?

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

David PreisnerRe: 3D Flag v3 and Expressions
by on Jun 26, 2013 at 9:08:03 pm

No issues. The update tracking works like magic! Thank you.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 26, 2013 at 9:18:44 pm

Hi David,

Great to hear. Thanks for the update!

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]