ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Trouble importing 3ds files

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan JacobsenTrouble importing 3ds files
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 5:22:44 pm

Hi folks,

I’ve Zaxwerks Invigorator for After Effects and I’m try to export a model for Autodesk Flame.

I can export a 3ds file and it imports into Flame with no errors along the way but it is not visible.
There’s an Axis node and a Geom but nothing there.

I can export it as a .obj and that works but it does not carry accross lighting or colour.

There are hardly any settings so I’m wondering what’s wrong.

I don’t suppose anyone has had experience of this or knows what might be happening?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Edward WuRe: Trouble importing 3ds files
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 10:43:12 pm

Hi Dan,

It's correct that the models do not export with color or lighting. Since all the 3D programs work differently, you will need to apply the materials in the program that you've imported the models into. The models do have the UV coordinates, so you will be able to apply the materials onto the same locations in Invigorator.

Similarly, when you import an object into 3D Invigorator PRO, the models do not get imported with any colors. You will need to apply the texture maps or colors within Invigorator.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Dan JacobsenRe: Trouble importing 3ds files
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 10:19:48 am

Hi Edward,

I thought 3ds files carried textures over. whereas obj dare just the geometry. Is that not right?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Edward WuRe: Trouble importing 3ds files
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:00:54 pm

Hi Dan,

That's not correct. 3DS files do not export or import with textures as well. Any model that you import or export will need to be textured. The program will only import or export the UV mapping coordinates.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Dan JacobsenRe: Trouble importing 3ds files
by on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:48:50 am

Thanks,

I get that now. Looks like I was thinking of FBX files.

I mostly use Autodesk Flame, but it can't do rounded bevels or create objects from masks as well as Invigorator. It's also more restricted on colouring parts of the object.

As I said, obj is working well enough, but if I can find some way to bring colours, or rather textures, across too it might be very handy in the future.

I don't think lights would be useful as I can do that in Flame.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]