ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

3D Flag

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clive Smith
3D Flag
on May 11, 2012 at 12:21:16 pm

Please help me with something here..

I really like the way that 3D Flag gently ripples a flag.

Can I use 3D Flag to simply animate a background layer? When I apply it to a background layer, it seems to move the layer offscreen somewhat to allow for the flag pole. I was hoping to be able to flutter the background, with the background always remaining fullscreen.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
Re: 3D Flag
on May 11, 2012 at 3:23:54 pm

And another question, please...

When the plugin is applied to a layer, it undulates on its own. I have a sequence of around 36 seconds, but the undulation stops at about 33 seconds.

There are no keyframes on it at all. Why does it stop, or what am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on May 11, 2012 at 9:40:28 pm

The flag will undulate as long as the duration of the layer it has been applied to. So my guess is that your layer isn't the full length of the movie you are rendering.
This is one of the reasons why it's best to apply the effect to a solid. If you need the solid to be longer just drag the end longer in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on May 11, 2012 at 9:38:10 pm

Hi Clive!
Animating a background is a creative way to use 3D Flag. Just follow these steps.
- Add a Comp Sized Solid to your comp.
- Add the 3D Flag effect to this solid.
- Add your background image to the comp and turn off its visibility.
- Choose the background image from the Color From menu in 3D Flag's controls
- Now you can use Size From control to make the background large, or use the camera controls to zoom in close so it fills the screen.
- You can also use the rotation controls to lay the flag on it's back to get an angled look at the flag or use the camera to look up at the flag.
- To add extra "grandeur" use the Slo-Mo control to make the flag wave in slow motion.

If you need to get the flag to fall less, reduce the gravity setting. This will keep it more rectangular without having to blow the wind so hard.

Hope that helps.
-Zax

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
on May 12, 2012 at 7:14:38 am

Thank you so much for the help.

I had not thought about this work flow and tried it out. It is much easier doing a background this way.

I still have issues with it stopping animation before the end of the sequence, though.

Here's what I did:
I am working PAL, so created created a new sequence of 976 frames at 25fps - 720x576. To this, I added a comp sized solid and put the effect on it.

I then added a comp sized image (for the background) and added this to the comp and turned off its' visibility. I then set the "color from" to the background image in the plugin. I resized as I wanted it.

Of the 976 frames of the sequence, it only animates up to frame 816.

Is this a glitch, or am I doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on May 15, 2012 at 7:25:15 pm

Make sure the comp sized solid has a duration of the entire comp.
If you still have trouble send the project to support (at) zaxwerks.com and we'll take a look!

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
on May 16, 2012 at 6:11:39 am

Hi Zax

I have sent you a test project to indicate the issue.

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
on May 23, 2012 at 6:01:06 am

I have still not received any feedback from the project that I was asked to email you, which was one week ago today.

I have totally blown my deadline and have had to use an alternate way of getting this done, causing me to have wasted my money on buying your product.

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
on May 30, 2012 at 5:56:28 am

Another week of no feedback has passed. I am disappointed at your lack of response Zaxwerks!

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 30, 2012 at 5:56:35 pm

Hi Clive,

Sorry for the lack of response! Normally, I receive the support e-mails. However, I was out of the country for my wedding banquet, so Zax was checking the e-mails for me. I sincerely apologize that the e-mail was missed and you didn't receive the help that you needed during the deadline. I have responded to your e-mail now, and hopefully will be able to assist you with any further issues that you run into. I know that it won't help with the project that you were working on but am hoping that you will have a better experience using the software for future projects.

Again, I'm sorry that your issue was not resolved properly for your deadline. Please see my e-mail and see if it helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
on May 31, 2012 at 7:15:08 am

Well - congrats to you Edward!!

Thanks for the response and email. Hopefully we can get this sorted out.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 31, 2012 at 4:48:08 pm

Thanks!

I sent you a new response. It seems like there's an issue with the PAL D1/DV setting. I have submitted the issue to our development team and will let you know as soon as I receive the fix from our team.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:08:01 am

I have just done a test to check your response.

I can replicate the bug this side on any PAL project. Both 4x3 and 1080i have issues in PAL, but the same formats in NTSC do not show the issue.

For anyone working in PAL-land, there is a workaround until it is resolved. Create the sequence longer than you need it to be, making sure that the animation continues past where you need it to be. The longer you make the sequence, the later the issue appears.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jun 1, 2012 at 4:18:56 pm

Hi Clive,

The PAL issue you're running into has been resolved. Please check your e-mail for the fix. If anyone else is running into this issue, please contact me at ed@zaxwerks.com and I will assist you with what you are running into.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]