ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

3D eflector - Falloff causing see-thru walls?!

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike James
3D eflector - Falloff causing see-thru walls?!
on May 2, 2012 at 1:41:25 pm

I'm having a problem with 3D Reflector in that if I apply falloff to a layer, it seems to ignore walls and reflect object behind them. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago which was solved by deleting and re-applying 3D Reflector, but this time the problem doesn't want to go away and I suspect it's something to do with falloff (I wasn't applying that on my previous problem).

To illustrate my problem, here are two images showing the exact same scene, one without falloff being applied:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1852/falloffoff.jpg

And one with falloff applied:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9789/falloffon.jpg

As you can see in the second image, the pictures on the wall are not being reflected correctly. It's as if the walls which should be obstructing parts of the pictures aren't there.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: 3D eflector - Falloff causing see-thru walls?!
on May 3, 2012 at 6:14:05 pm

Hi Mike,

If it's possible, please send the project file to me at ed@zaxwerks.com.

I'll take a look at your project file and take a look at how everything is set up. Thanks.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Mike James
on May 7, 2012 at 1:56:10 pm

Thanks for the reply, Edward. I seem to have fixed the problem (though I am not quite sure how!). I suspect it might have been a layer order issue. If it comes back, I'll send you the project.

One other question; I see that when using 3D reflector, falloff doesn't work on 3D models imported via 3D Invigorator etc. Is there any kind of workaround you know of that can fake some kind of falloff?

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 7, 2012 at 7:39:17 pm

Hi Mike,

No problem. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get through the issue.

You're correct that when using 3D Reflector, the Falloff feature does not work with the 3D models in 3D Invigorator. At the moment, the only way workaround I'm aware of is to manually create masks in After Effects to create that effect. The good news is that we're in the process of releasing 3D Invigorator PRO version 6. The new version contains Ray-Trace reflections, so you will be able to create materials in Invigorator that has reflections from other objects and you'll have the ability to adjust the falloff as well! We're estimating that the new version will be released in around a month. If you can hold out for your project, the reflections you're looking to create will be easy to set up in version 6!

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]